Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can't get Dwarves to Spar  (Read 2042 times)

King Kitteh

• Bay Watcher
  • [SAVAGE][CRAZED]
    • View Profile
Can't get Dwarves to Spar
« on: January 05, 2016, 12:58:47 am »

I'm having alot of trouble trying to get my dwarves to spar in 0.42.04

I have two squads of three mace dwarves. They have their schedules set to always be training, with a minimum of two dwarves training at once. I have set them to active training and they go to the barracks but they refuse to spar. They'll usually just do individual combat training, and sometimes they'll hold a demonstration, but they will not spar.

They all have iron maces, shields and a full set of iron armor (breastplate, mail shirt, helm, gauntlets, greaves, high boots). I can't find any reason for why they won't spar.

Also alot of the time only one dwarf will be in training, even though I've set it to a minimum of two. It's not as if they are completely ignoring the minimum, as that one dwarf was tired and kept training instead of going to sleep.

I am using the Mayday graphics pack, aswell as a small mod that adds Animal Men Civs. But it's nothing that should be interfering with sparring.

Please help guys, the dead are building up at my door. I don't have much time!  :(
goodnight, speep tighht, don't let the bedbugs bite

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Can't get Dwarves to Spar
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2016, 02:12:28 am »

What are their skill levels? Fresh recruits won't spar, as they don't really know where to begin.  This is why people take a military dorf that starts with ranks in the teacher skill- he'll help speed up the training of fresh meat.  I've seen my more mature squads spar regularly (not 100%), but the fresh conscripts tend to just watch demonstrations or individually train.

Other than that... it might be linked to encumbrance? Unskilled armor users might not be able to handle much fighting (sparring) in too much armor too soon.  I tend to make a beginner set of leather/bone to start them off with. 

King Kitteh

• Bay Watcher
  • [SAVAGE][CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2016, 02:19:36 am »

I embarked with three mace dwarves with competent level in mace skill. I guess that wasn't enough then.

They weren't sparring even before I put armor on them so I doubt it's an encumberance thing.

At what level will they start sparring? Do I just have to wait for them to level up by doing individual drills until then?

Thanks, anyway  :)

EDIT: Nevermind, two of my dwarves just reached proficient and started sparring.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 02:23:03 am by King Kitteh »

bmxbumpkin

• Bay Watcher
  • How did I pass? She beat me like I owed her money.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2016, 03:11:43 am »

Bug

Nvm lol
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 03:14:32 am by bmxbumpkin »

Zarathustra30

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2016, 04:11:22 am »

If you want them to actually gain experience, you have to keep them away from alcohol. Apparently, dwarves are overly cautious when drunk.
How did we pass from inns with merry songs and happy music to temples of doom and medieval torture with so much easiness and eagerness??

King Kitteh

• Bay Watcher
  • [SAVAGE][CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2016, 04:40:32 am »

Nah Toady fixed the issue with drunk dwarves not sparring. It's in the development log.

"I fixed sparring as well. The cautiousness personality check got flipped around with the new facets, which wouldn't normally be a problem (just a strike frequency shift), but the new drunken dwarves were 100 percent not-cautious (which made them all 100 percent cautious in the flipped check)."
- Toady

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2016, 04:59:30 am »

That bug is marked as fixed in the next version in the bug tracker change log, so while fixed, it's not available yet.

King Kitteh

• Bay Watcher
  • [SAVAGE][CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2016, 05:15:06 am »

Oh well, my bad. Sorry about that, I guess.  :-[

ClorrProdigal

• Bay Watcher
  • My God! It's full of dwarves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2016, 05:00:32 pm »

If you want them to actually gain experience, you have to keep them away from alcohol. Apparently, dwarves are overly cautious when drunk.
Does any one know if telling them to only carry water and/or burrowing them to their barracks solve the alcohol issue?