Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Yet another adventure-mode-newbie post...  (Read 1454 times)

slashnul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Yet another adventure-mode-newbie post...
« on: March 21, 2016, 12:17:19 pm »

I wanna run my character idea past the forum.  The most unoriginal idea... a ninja.  But heres where Im coming from:

Ive played fortress mode alot and stopped giving my soldiers weapons, shields, or too much armor.  I love seeing them grapple, snap limbs, bite off body parts, etc.  And if they walk away with a few scars, so be it.  But I realized Im doing it wrong... I need to do this in adventure mode.  Now Ive done my homework, I think... Ive read Kisat Dur twice, the adventure mode page on the wiki, along with most posts in the first few pages of this forum.  The "Worst Things Ive Done" post almost made me want to throw up heh... they should call it Sociopath Mode.  Im not above cheating when it gets me around clear bugs, and I dont mind grinding.  Is this following character viable?

Human, Hero.  Should I step it up to Demigod?
Light armor, leather/cloth.  Will I be pooping in a bag after my first fight?
Unarmed with an option to throw daggers or something.  Does this limit me from taking on the strongest foes?

Thanks alot

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Re: Yet another adventure-mode-newbie post...
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2016, 01:53:17 pm »

I wanna run my character idea past the forum.  The most unoriginal idea... a ninja.  But heres where Im coming from:

Ive played fortress mode alot and stopped giving my soldiers weapons, shields, or too much armor.  I love seeing them grapple, snap limbs, bite off body parts, etc.  And if they walk away with a few scars, so be it.  But I realized Im doing it wrong... I need to do this in adventure mode.  Now Ive done my homework, I think... Ive read Kisat Dur twice, the adventure mode page on the wiki, along with most posts in the first few pages of this forum.  The "Worst Things Ive Done" post almost made me want to throw up heh... they should call it Sociopath Mode.  Im not above cheating when it gets me around clear bugs, and I dont mind grinding.  Is this following character viable?

Human, Hero.  Should I step it up to Demigod?
Light armor, leather/cloth.  Will I be pooping in a bag after my first fight?
Unarmed with an option to throw daggers or something.  Does this limit me from taking on the strongest foes?

Thanks alot

That sound s like a great idea, no you wouldn't be limited in who you can take on.
Also the adventure page on the wiki is outdated.
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2016, 04:33:49 pm »

The character creation section in the quick start guide is a good read. This thread talks a bit about throwing. As to equipment, it's best to experiment with what may work for the playstyle you're going for.

I wouldn't recommend grinding. Being more powerful than you need to be versus your opponents will allow you to overlook things in combat that require close attention. Grinding will let you coast at the beginning, and for many people it makes them inconsistent. But, if you like grinding and being OP is a goal, then you should go for it. You can learn top down, but I think that's a harder road to travel.

slashnul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2016, 10:19:28 pm »

Thanks for the tips!  I found a fun way to grind... I got a zombie into a stalemate position.  Crushed his offense and now am trying all the moves and getting used to the interface.  But quick question... Im on a small world, and humans have nothing bigger than hamlets.  Ive been collecting tons of coins but cant find a shop to buy stuff.  Isnt it only human towns and above that have shops?

*edit* nevermind, shops are on hold.  I guess coins make great missiles.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 10:47:19 pm by slashnul »

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2016, 11:34:11 pm »

I guess coins make great missiles.

We should trust One Piece's Ruluka Island Arc:

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2016, 12:16:06 am »

Dodging in this game is better than any armour against literally anything except dragon fire.  If you have to start out with ludicrous amounts of points in one skill, it would be dodge.  Grind that up to legendary and you're practically invincible ( again, except for dragon fire, but then all you'll need's a shield and that's taken care of ).

Against anything that can bleed or feels pain, scratching is enough to cause pain, and although it will take longer, still inflict enough bleed damage in case you're fighting something [NOPAIN] like a night creature.  Plus scratching is always fun role-play for martial arts oriented characters, Eagle Claw that shit up. 

GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.