Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: cave croc breeding question  (Read 926 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
cave croc breeding question
« on: January 02, 2016, 08:34:51 am »

Anyone know how long it takes or cave croc eggs to hatch? I've got two males and two females in a pen. both females are sitting on nextboxes. They've been sitting on their eggs forever.

How long should they take to hatch? Did I really get that many gays?

<if they do hatch I expect my FPS to suffer. 58 eggs + 55 eggs. That'll be a whole lot of baby crocodiles.>
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: cave croc breeding question
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2016, 11:15:04 am »

I believe all eggs take the same time to hatch.

There are more reasons than homosexuality for eggs to fail to be fertilized:
- Asexual, and "unwilling to marry", 5% + 20% chance, where I believe the latter is fixed for animals in 0.42..04.
- Failure to fertilize the eggs before they are laid. This can easily happen if females are let into a room with nest boxes, in which case eggs can be laid before the male(s) has had a chance to perform his duty. Also, the eggs laid immediately after a previous batch has hatched frequently are laid before there's been any time for fertilization.

If you're using DT it can provide you with sexual orientation info, and there is a DFHack function to tell you if eggs are fertilized or not. I haven't yet tried DFHack with 0.42.X, so I don't know if that feature is there yet.

Pancakes

• Bay Watcher
  • Cancels drink: Too insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2016, 11:35:27 am »

I think it's 6 months for eggs to hatch, if I remember correctly. Also, on the orientation thing, part of me thinks that animals trained from the wild themselves are always able to reproduce for some reason and animals you embark with or raise from birth have a chance to not reproduce, but that's just my speculation.

Wait, now that males and females have to have actual contact with each other, how does that work for egg layers?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2016, 06:02:44 pm »

Nope. Captured animals can have any orientation just as embark ones (and caravan bought ones) can. It's rather annoying when you've finally caught a rare critter's mate, only to find (through DT) it's a dud.

Impregnation happens the same way for egg layers as for live birthers. The only difference is that egg layers may lay unfertilized eggs, while a failure to impregnate a live birther doesn't have any visible effect.

Pancakes

• Bay Watcher
  • Cancels drink: Too insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2016, 06:26:57 pm »

Ah, thanks for clarifying for me, that's been gnawing at my mind for a while now.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2016, 02:45:13 pm »

Finally. After removing the nest boxes for a month or two, then installing them back in, I got hatchlings now. I think the female crocs just rush to built nestboxes so fast, that they don't have time to be fertilized. Now I had two batches hatch at once.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
96 hatchlings  :o I NEED MORE BUTCHERS
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

EBannion

• Bay Watcher
  • Visit my Blog, www.elleshaped.com
    • View Profile
    • ElleShaped
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2016, 12:36:43 pm »

Don't forget to let 'em grow up so you get leather too!
Torturing Dwarves to death since 2007

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2016, 02:34:34 pm »

Put them all in a cage.  When the goblins invade, release the crocswarm.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2016, 05:33:15 pm »

Finally. After removing the nest boxes for a month or two, then installing them back in, I got hatchlings now. I think the female crocs just rush to built nestboxes so fast, that they don't have time to be fertilized. Now I had two batches hatch at once.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
96 hatchlings  :o I NEED MORE BUTCHERS

Might have been worthwhile to properly spend time training the mother croc's, since your croc's aren't 'domesticated' merely 'trained' at this current stage, because in three years time when all those babies grow up, they'll all start dropping training levels, meaning you've just cultivated 90 murderous untrained crocodiles that are individually going to take ages to train.

Unless you butcher them quick, you've got a crocsplosion ticking time bomb on your hands (unless that's what you want, but its a waste of good crocs)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2016, 06:04:25 pm »

@EBannion: DF doesn't support croc or snakeskin items, so no leather from the croc scales, unfortunately.

@FantasticDorf: The croc hatchlings can be trained while still young to become fully domesticated, and they drop training levels while young as well as while grown up, but the horde of hatchlings will give the trainers a fair bit of work. If the hatchlings are caged they won't be trained until they drop down to wild, but on the other hand caging makes it go faster, and caged crocs are safer to handle. Caged croc hatchlings won't generate a crocsplosion either.