Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Disable custom workshops/items for NPC faction?  (Read 677 times)

BNDR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Disable custom workshops/items for NPC faction?
« on: January 13, 2016, 09:54:36 pm »

What I did was make a couple easy workshops with reactions to do certain things. A different way of making soap, the (infamous) training academy and such.

Now I noticed, the dwarven caravans never, ever sold for example, Soap.

Now since the mod, they are throwing the soap at you in bunches, and it lists exactly the 2 different types of soaps, the ones created in my workshop.

Now I am very scared to proceed, I surely don't want the other factions (or dwarf faction that is) to build my shops. What about my training academy, for example. Can the NPC factions use custom workshops, build them and all?

I'm under the assumption that they either have a FIXED array of buildables (they don't even WANT to build an academy or 'aux soap maker shop'), OR they build everything that is allowed.

The latter seems not very plausible, otherwise if you [as in, the player] made 1 Adamant from 1 Stone (literally), you would surely face Dwarven caravans clad in Adamantine clothing, pulling adamantine wagons, literally adamantine everywhere.

It would be nice to see another factionsfortress, but I doubt it is possible? Is there even a way for the AI to do this? Or are the AI simulated even easier, just a 'placebo', means they dont physically exist, until you get a caravan? It would be kind of deadly if the AI could make 50 billion soap bars, and I mean that memory-wise, the game wouldn't be able to take that.

That's the main concern. If the AI trains their people, they may be able to train them to legendary without use of ressources for example, and we'd have a Dwarven super force. I surely know I can hardly train 2 Dwarves to "Adept" skill without major problems using my Training Academy workshop mod.

That's all. Just wondering. I don't want the AI to cheat, or starve/dehydrate himself (the training reaction uses drinks, lots of it) to death.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Disable custom workshops/items for NPC faction?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2016, 12:50:07 am »

Dwarves are not an NPC faction. All dwarven civilizations are playable, so anything you do to dwarves will be done to all dwarves.

If a reaction provides bars, those bars will show up in trading unless the material of the bars has the [SPECIAL] token or anything that implies [SPECIAL]. Adamantine is one such material.

BNDR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2016, 01:36:57 am »

Thx for the answer.

I noticed that dwarves are the players main faction, as well as a standard faction, so there is NPC's, or other dwarven forts under AI ownership, is what I meant.

So I looked it up and it says ai-controlled entities won't use those sppecial items to make crafts and such.

Which you mentioned is very bitter for me, it implies that whoever has a custom workshop added under his permits in the game files, may use the buildings and reactions freely, both player AND AI. I'm puzzled.

From some other games I'm used to the AI not generating goods and such, they get it from scriptings in regular intervals, so they don't run out of ressources and come attack you constantly.

I need to know about the game mechanics we can't see from the files directly in order to determine what is desireable, what is cheating for the player, and what allows the AI to cheat.

Eg. Adamantine reactions would be cheating since the AI can't use them apparently, that kind of info is what I'm talking about.

Depending on the circumstances, a training school would be too crazy if the AI has unlimited food and coal and drink supplies, another example. They could train legendary+5 swordsdwarves in 1 year tops, whilst the player struggles enough to supply the forst, no room to think of training anything at all. We don't want all dwarven fortresses to whip and smack everyone else around, at least I don't  :-\

I did a quick "mode set" fast travel into another dwarven fortress, controlled by the AI, and was puzzled, they seemed to have no stockpile, only 3 magma smelters one level above the first "fully magma" level (world core?), no other shops, no food stocks, nothing. They had 200ish dwarves which makes me wonder how they survive.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2016, 02:19:13 am »

This game is not a 4X or RTS. Civilization and Starcraft may have cheating AIs, but this game doesn't even have any goals to cheat for. Non-player settlements are not treated much differently at all from player settlements. The AI does not cheat, though they are not simulated quite as in-depth as your fortress (so e.g. food stockpiles are abstracted, which is why you didn't really see any when you went to that other fort).

Dwarf mode is a roguelike with units being indirectly controlled by labor settings and jobs. This implies that the player does not have anything particularly special about them as regards to the surrounding world.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 02:21:44 am by Putnam »

BNDR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2016, 03:10:35 am »

Very many thanks and kudos for the information, that was exactly what I wanted to know  :D

And indeed I meant those kinds of games when I meant, 'cheating AI'. It doesnt make sense, and I like that DF doesnt actually give the AI any goals. We can all live in peace, unless gobbos and necros of course. But the other factions, jsut chill with them, they leave you. Always loved that.

Sometimes I build forts in crazy spots, being attacked from all sides, sometime just in some secluded spot, where they leave me alone. PS I seen Nagidal is also signed up in bay12forums, he is the one who got me into playing DF quite a while ago. First I said 'Ugh what is this game lol', and it quickly turned into my main drug. Cant be 1 day without at least 5 mins of working on the fort.

Take care man and thx again

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2016, 12:44:11 pm »

Well, no, they have goals, but they're not abstract goals. If elves are at war with you, there's a reason for that, territory disputes or arguments over the treatment of corpses or trees.