Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: weapons and the hammerer  (Read 1370 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
weapons and the hammerer
« on: January 04, 2016, 05:23:34 pm »

A fey dwarf just made an artefact aluminum crossbow. That would seem like an excellent weapon for my captain of the guard / hammerer.

Question is: can hammering sentences be carried out with any weapon assigned to the hammerer, or will he specifically need a hammer?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: weapons and the hammerer
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2016, 05:54:01 pm »

Featherwood crossbows are frequently recommended, and this implies any weapon.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2016, 06:13:00 pm »

Pretty sure hammerers need a hammer.  I don't think mauls count either.

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2016, 12:46:45 am »

Pretty sure hammerers need a hammer.  I don't think mauls count either.

The noble position "hammerer" can be made to use a crossbow.  Its generally recommended, as even with a full quiver he'll still use the stock of his xbow.  So long as said xbow isn't made of copper or some heavy artifact metal, it'll be fine.  I typically just use bone crossbows... which I just assign to all my regular marksdorfs.  I typically have to use wood for things like pearlash/pottery glaze/charcoal/bins/beds/shields/etc, but bone is far more abundant on all maps and generally less useful outside of exotic animal bones as trading materials. 

To actually answer the OP's question... No.  While aluminum is the lightest -metal-, it's still twice the weight of the heaviest wood (its roughly as heavy as your average stone, actually).  If you don't have featherwood/candlenut/willow wood on your embark/can't import it (anywhere there is water there are willows just about), use bone or any generic wood instead.  Bone and your average tree are about the same density, and that is a mere fraction of what aluminium is. 

Also consider that it is an artifact weapon that boasts a 50% better hit rate and no material drawbacks (since crossbows only check quality of the xbow when firing-only bolts get a material check)  Instead of bashing in the heads of drunks and whoever your nobles are pissed at this time, use them to shoot up forgotten beasts or at least station them out front to take pot-shots at those damned keas.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 12:49:08 am by Niddhoger »

mobucks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2016, 02:12:10 am »

The hammerer needs a warhammer that is on the ground, not in use by the military. He also needs a free chain, assigned to justice, to tie up his "victims" for their hammering. The hammerer doesnt even need to be in the military or have a uniform or even a weapon assigned/equipped.

The only time the military uses their equipped weapons on civilians is to deliver "beatings" which are caused by not having any chains/cages assigned to justice.

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2016, 02:33:37 am »

Derp, I must have confused him for the captain of hte guard.