Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: my military is useless  (Read 1137 times)

cbfog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
my military is useless
« on: May 31, 2008, 07:26:00 pm »

My fort came under attack by goblins and despite repeated frantic orders for them to respond to the attack most of the squadS remained sleeping (not resting) blissfully in their beds while all around them their dwarven brethren were mercilessly slaughtered. Shouldn't there be an alarm bell or something I can ring to wake their lazy asses up while everyone is carved to chunks around them or at least have a little more control over my military than gently suggesting that they maybe if they would be so kind to FRICKING WAKE UP AND KILL THE MOTHERFUCKING GOBLINS

Captain Xenon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: my military is useless
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2008, 07:42:00 pm »

do you have furniture haulers? (q), scroll over bed, (x). when the bed is removed they wake up.

cbfog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2008, 09:05:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Captain Xenon:
<STRONG>do you have furniture haulers? (q), scroll over bed, (x). when the bed is removed they wake up.</STRONG>

I shouldn't have to yank their beds away when they're sleeping on the job. I mean, the job of military dwarfs is to keep to fortress safe. What good are they if they decide to sleep or take a break or go get drunk when enemies are rampaging through the fort?

There ought to be some sort of "Alarm" function I could activate that would make all military dwarves ready for actiom regardless of what they are currently doing.

Cavalcadeofcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2008, 10:22:00 pm »

Dude, go to suggestions. Or use DFCompanion. Something.

cbfog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2008, 10:28:00 pm »

OK I posted my Alarm Bell idea in suggestions. Hopefully it will be favorably received. I know a lot of players enjoy the arcane aspect of DF but I don't think that a more tight control over the military would detract from the game at all.

Samyotix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2008, 04:38:00 am »

Erm, Calvadosofcats meant to read suggestions, not to post in suggestions  :) That alarm bell thing has been suggested before ... in fact I think I got yelled at a few months ago for a similar suggestion  :)

So ... a) I'd suggest having at least 4 squads in your army, even if there's only two dwarves each in them. b) If the goblins get to within crossbow range of your entrance, methinks you don't have enough weapon traps.   :)

galmud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2008, 05:54:00 am »

Yeah its very annoying

I think they always wake up if attacked. So maybe if you order them to sleep on the ground the squad will sleep wherever they are stationed and hopefully be awaken by any nearby invaders? And perhaps they are easier to wake up sleeping on the ground?

MuonDecay

• Bay Watcher
  • Say hello to my little μ
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2008, 09:57:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by galmud:
<STRONG>Yeah its very annoying

I think they always wake up if attacked. So maybe if you order them to sleep on the ground the squad will sleep wherever they are stationed and hopefully be awaken by any nearby invaders? And perhaps they are easier to wake up sleeping on the ground?</STRONG>

I'm darn near positive that gives the enemy the first strike, though, and the first strike on a prone enemy to boot, which I'm pretty sure makes it even more disadvantageous for said DwarvenSoldat.

Of course getting punched in the spleen before waking up is better than sleeping through a massacre, I suppose.

I'd bet Toady plans some reasonable improvements in these behaviours in the various military improvements needed for the army arc. He does seem to read the bugs and suggestions regularly and is no doubt aware how wanted this sort of improvement is.

Though the onerous nature of things like this in the game does lend a certain masochistic charm. Personally, I didn't know masochism could be learned, but DF has taught me to love making myself suffer

Then again so has Wurm, WoW, binge drinking... erm, but I digress   :p