Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: objective essay critique  (Read 756 times)

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
objective essay critique
« on: January 09, 2016, 03:26:52 pm »

2000 character limit essay for scholarship. Prompt; Please state your educational and career goals and the reason(s) for choosing your major. Please limit your response to 2,000 characters

Please don't hold back with any feedback. I came to the internet because you can often get peoples real feelings on something here without them sugarcoating it or trying to spare your feelings. If it sucks, tell me.

My interest in ecology and thereby my major of biology stems from my interest in transcendentalism. I was first introduced to the philosophy of transcendentalism in my junior year of high school, but I quickly discovered many of my own ideas to be mirrored in the movement. I fell in love with the works of Emerson and Thoreau, and found myself a bit of a naturalist. When I was young I was heavily involved in scouts and often found myself in isolation in the woods. This, I feel, is where the foundation of my character was built. In quiet observation of nature and extensive personal introspection, my first understanding of the world came not as personal experience, but with the view of society as a single system. While each of us were in relation to one another on a personal scale, society as a whole was tied indispensably to nature. Seeing so much of society, and so much of myself tied to nature, I can’t help but want to protect it. I would hope to be able to use my degree to work in conservation, either for the Conservation Data Center (CDC) or the Peace Corps or a similar institution. If possible, I would eventually like to further my education with either a masters or a doctorates in relation to ecology that I could further specialize my work. Viewing the state of the world recently, I can’t help but notice the crass and careless attitude that is so often taken towards our environment. Conservation is often only an afterthought. I believe the next few decades will be critical in determining the fate of our environment, and I want to make sure we can rise to the occasion. I want to work in ecology because I want to be a part of the solution.

My major is technically biology, but i have an emphasis on ecology and environmental biology.
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
Re: objective essay critique
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2016, 03:34:33 pm »

Huh. Looks good to me- there are probably people who can give you better advice.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2016, 04:21:50 pm »

Your text is probably good enough for its intended purpose, but Thoreau was a bit of a wanker, to be honest. I'm sure the people deciding who gets that scholarship just love Thoreau, though, so it's all good. :p

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2016, 02:45:48 pm »

It's more about their ideas than the actual people themselves. Thoreau often became so caught up in his thoughts about something that he often forgot the context of the reality that they occurred in. I don't follow his ideas blindly, but i do have to admit to the truth behind some of them. A single lonesome body on an abandoned shore would evoke more emotion from me than the chaos of people dealing with such a massive accident. That does not mean that i feel nothing when confronted with such. I guess what i'm saying is that, I learned from thoreau, but i don't necessarily follow him.
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2016, 10:43:26 am »

Thoreau was a dick though. Assumes the mendicancy and desolation of beggars to have been caused by their own, back in a time where racism was rampant and slaves were still common. So, offering cash to those people would ultimately result in the guy buying more ugly rags, and he assumes everyone other than his own is less-favored by the gods he worshiped.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.