Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Surplus  (Read 1101 times)

gwenbasil

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Surplus
« on: May 31, 2008, 12:57:00 pm »

At this moment, I've got 74 dwarves, 1001 prepared meals (probably all lavish) and about 1800 booze. I'm having pains in my ass over storage space and barrels... but I hesitate to turn off the farms because I don't want the next immigrant wave to eat us out. What is a comfortable surplus I can try to stand at? and what rate do you tend to produce food/booze to keep that number static?

Sometimes I think this game should be called "Food and Loom" >.<

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Surplus
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2008, 01:06:00 pm »

You've got enough food to last you for several years.  Dwarves only eat a few times a year (three?  Four?).  As for booze, dwarves will drink around six times a year.  At least those are the old numbers, not sure if they've changed.

So, yeah...  Brew up the rest of your current food stocks and shut off the farms.  You would need the immigrant wave from hell for all that food to get consumed.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2008, 01:07:00 pm »

Really?  That's all?  Geez, they're like camels or something.
Shoes...

gwenbasil

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2008, 01:09:00 pm »

argh, what to do with the now free planters/brewers/cooks?

... wood haulin'

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2008, 01:17:00 pm »

Military!

Everything extra gets drafted in my fortresses.  Of course, the only time my fortress lasted long enough for the military to matter, they got massacred.

Shoes...

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2008, 01:23:00 pm »

Make them miners. Or engravers. Or anything you have a shortage of.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

gwenbasil

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2008, 02:33:00 pm »

quote:
Military!  

My map is so boring. I get about 7-10 goblins maaaybe once a year, I've already massacred the ant/rat/batmen and started flooring levels in the chasm to get at the good stuff, I've got l33t siege operators... I don't bother to pull the bridge up, just so I can get a good melee fight going.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2008, 02:41:00 pm »

In that case, download and install Dwarf Companion.  Use it to turn a single dwarf into a zombie when it is next to a large group of wrestlers or speardwarves (anything that's not too effective against the undead, so that they all get a shot at the zombie).

The fun doesn't stop once the zombie is dead, however. Any dwarf who attacked it will be labeled as an enemy of the fortress due to the fact that they attacked a "friendly" civilian (the fact that it was undead and trying to eat their brains has no meaning, apparently), so now you've got a civil war on your hands.

The "friendly" dwarves will attack or run away from the "enemy" dwarves, and vice versa.  Make your own war.

Also, "enemy" dwarves will still work for you and do whatever jobs you assign.  See if you can get an entire fortress full of "enemy" dwarves.  If you can, every immigration wave will be treated as an assault, and your dwarves will attack them on sight (well, your military dwarves).

MuonDecay

• Bay Watcher
  • Say hello to my little μ
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2008, 10:32:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Cthulhu:
<STRONG>Military!

Everything extra gets drafted in my fortresses.  Of course, the only time my fortress lasted long enough for the military to matter, they got massacred.</STRONG>

Give them steel spears and no armor.

Social Darwinism.