Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: "Begone fear!"... Where do I find this?  (Read 1591 times)

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
"Begone fear!"... Where do I find this?
« on: January 09, 2016, 06:30:09 pm »

The "speech" files seem to have nothing for these... and, well, they're getting a bit repetitive. Where, if anywhere, can these combat-related exclamations be altered or expanded?
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
Re: "Begone fear!"... Where do I find this?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2016, 06:31:18 pm »

All the newer conversation stuff is hardcoded sadly.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2016, 07:06:51 pm »

Well, that's disappointing... hope those get moved to the raws sooner than later.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2016, 10:01:06 pm »

Open your dwarf fortress binary in vim and do a search for "Begone fear!" replace it with something of lesser or equal length, if you replace it with a lesser length, then replace all the characters not being used with null characters. That should prevent the imminent collapse of the string handling code for that.

Replacing it with greater length would require more skill and time than I either have or want to spend for any amount of conversational greatness.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2016, 11:41:27 pm »

Open your dwarf fortress binary in vim and do a search for "Begone fear!" replace it with something of lesser or equal length, if you replace it with a lesser length, then replace all the characters not being used with null characters. That should prevent the imminent collapse of the string handling code for that.

Replacing it with greater length would require more skill and time than I either have or want to spend for any amount of conversational greatness.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=108721.0

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2016, 10:31:54 am »

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=108721.0
This still only lets you do a one-for-one swap for each exclamation.  Sure, you could rig up a complicated pre-launcher that chooses randomly from several DF executables so that you're surprised in the first fight of a session, but that's just a tad overcomplicated.

Hopefully these things will be moved into the raws eventually, so that different entities/professions/etc. can speak differently.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map