Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Earliest time for new arrivals.  (Read 869 times)

viskaslietuvai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Earliest time for new arrivals.
« on: May 27, 2008, 03:49:00 pm »

So I just got migrants at the beginning of the midsummer month in the first year. That's definitely the earliest I've ever gotten them. I was wondering if anyone has gotten it earlier and why I may have gotten them so early. There were five or so by the way.
I know it couldn't have been the caravan reporting back because, well, the caravan hasn't arrived yet. I haven't even created anything very awesome. Just some fish bone crafts.
The open way's too dangerous / Listen close they're watching us
One more time you're losing us / Hold still they're shooting us
First wave down / I wonder when they're coming back
First wave intact
-Secret Machines- First Wave Intact
Gobbo Invasion Song!

Calenth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Earliest time for new arrivals.
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 03:55:00 pm »

what's your fortress carved out of? i.e., what materials on your map? Maybe you're making all your shops with obsidian so they're triple value.

viskaslietuvai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 04:32:00 pm »

Actually, it's the thirstiest fort ever. It's about 80% rock salt. Pass the water.
First wave intact
Gobbo Invasion Song!

Gorjo MacGrymm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 08:57:00 pm »

I have had the same thing happen a few times.  I think there were not any common factors between the events besides maybe diorite or mudstone.  Maybe the site was surveyed in the past by a legendary geologist and the new arrivals were coming to claim the riches when they saw "us".  I think they are plotting our demise, waiting for the perfect moment.  Thats why we should kill them, all, first, even the pets (especially).
"You should stop cutting down all these herr trees, or, MAN is my Queen going to be Aaaaa-aang-Re-ee with you guys!" flipping his hand and batting his eyelashes."
"Oh my god guys, wood, is like, totally murder."

grelphy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 10:24:00 pm »

I believe this has to do with your proximity to the dwarven civ of which you are a part. That is, if you snuggle up right next to some other fortress, you'll get migrants really early, while if you're sitting in the middle of the tundra at the other end of the world, migrants may not make it for more than a year. The fastest I've ever seen was in the first winter, while the slowest was almost two years (I abandoned second winter due to, um, BUILDING AN ENTIRE FORT WITH SEVEN FREAKING DWARVES).

I haven't actually attempted to verify any of this; it's just my recollections over dozens of embarks.

Given the general shape of coins and what most people seem to find the minted variety useful for: "Rounds".

viskaslietuvai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008, 12:04:00 am »

grelphy: That seems to make some sense. And I am pretty close to the dwarven homelands if I recall correctly.
First wave intact
Gobbo Invasion Song!