Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Let That be a Lesson  (Read 854 times)

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Let That be a Lesson
« on: May 27, 2008, 04:57:00 am »

This is nothing spectacular, but amused me enough to write a post about it.

A pair of kobold thieves just snuck into my fortress. A passing Gem Cutter noticed them, and the game paused. I immediately drafted him - this dwarf with no combat skills or equipment whatsoever - and proceeded to watch him chase the first kobold back towards the entrance.

After a few steps, the dwarf uncovered the other one, which happened to be behind him. All three of them rushed to the entrance, but when they got there, the dwarf suddenly turned and started beating on the straggling thief.

At this point I switched on combat messages so I could see what was going on. The dwarf spent several seconds punching the kobold's legs, hands, wrists. Then he grabbed the kobold by the leg (this sounded like he picked the poor thing up), got a 'joint lock' on it, and proceeded to smash the kobold's knee. He then dropped the kobold and punched it in the head (I lol'd). Now in extreme pain, the kobold made a brave swing with his copper knife, but completely missed. The dwarf responded by smashing both of its hands and pulverising its lower body.

At this point, I undrafted the dwarf. The kobold lay in the entranceway, most of his bodyparts having sustained yellow, red, or brown injuries. All of its limbs are smashed, including several fingers, and even some toes. But it's still alive, albeit unconcious and entirely crippled.

I'm leaving him there as a warning. xD I hope his buddy saw the violence as he fled.

Let that be a lesson to you bloody thieves! *Shakes fist* That'll teach you to bother me with your pointless infiltrations! Next time I'll sent my Potash makers, and you'll know TRUE PAIN.

[ May 27, 2008: Message edited by: Moogie ]

I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Let That be a Lesson
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 05:29:00 am »

That'll teach them!
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 06:26:00 am »

Why Potash Makers are always drafted for the military/fortress guard.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 08:30:00 am »

Do you really need their profession? That's the answer.

"My grandgrandpa was a potash maker, my grandpa was a potashmaker, my dad was a potashmaker. I'll be in army too!"

or

"While my cousins learned dwarven math to become mechanics and dwarven philosophy to become useless philosophers, I neglected uni and played with my fellow friends in potashmaking on the street. Thus I failed my exams and now I'm in army" (I think dwarves have the compulsory military service just like we russians do).

[ May 27, 2008: Message edited by: Deon ]

▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Calenth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 09:42:00 am »

how do you turn on combat messages?

MuonDecay

• Bay Watcher
  • Say hello to my little μ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 10:39:00 am »

You haven't seen tragic humor until you've seen a kobold sneak in and leave behind several "Kobold Chunks" after encountering a common domestic cat.

The cowardly thing didn't even fight back, it just ran away from Fluffy McMeankitty, sans a few squishy bits.

I really should have nicknamed that cat something mean-sounding.

Baney

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.efrgames.com
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2008, 11:18:00 am »

I'm seriously missing something..

How do you know what your dwarf is doing to the guy, I thought that was only in adventure mode...

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2008, 01:02:00 pm »

Using the DF companion utility, you can switch on combat reports. This will then show the same messages you get in adventure mode for combat.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Brent Not Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2008, 03:29:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Duke 2.0:
<STRONG>Why Potash Makers are always drafted for the military/fortress guard.</STRONG>
Lately, I've taken to activating wood burning, furnace operation, potash making, lye making, soap making, and alchemy for all dwarves that show up at my gates with any one of those professions. They're the Ashbeards, my dwarven priest caste, a mute order of holy pariahs sworn to a lifetime of service with fire and chemicals.

Sure, they all end up as furnace operators in the end, but even a dwarf with zero skill can do that job adequately if you're not in a rush, and it's nice to feel like I know what to do with the more useless immigrants for a change.

I end up only drafting milkers, cheesemakers, and their ilk these days.