Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What's civilization without music?  (Read 639 times)

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What's civilization without music?
« on: December 25, 2015, 05:11:20 pm »

So, I hadn't played DF in a while, then came back recently over the holidays. I *really* like being able to build taverns and libraries and whatnot. My first fortress, now in it's second or third year, is doing nicely. I've built a couple taverns, supplied copious mugs, and then, after a major building project, I thought, "Well, how about that. I don't have any instruments! This must be remedied!"

So, I look at the craft shop menu and...there's nothing there! Check the wiki, wiki says they're built at a craft shop, says that instruments are procedurally generated for each civilization...

Does this mean I happened to choose the one so-called civilization with no instruments???

Any comments or advice appreciated. I'm currently running df_42_03_win, playing a game that I initially played on the starter pack (40_24) and transferred the save file. 

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's civilization without music?
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2015, 05:16:20 pm »

Your world was made in 40.24 and 40.24 doesn't have instruments. Which is why your world doesn't have instruments, or music, or poetry. How sad...

Copying over your save won't re-generate the world. Music evolves during worldgen so you need a new world generated in 42.x.

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's civilization without music?
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2015, 05:18:46 pm »

40.24 doesn't have instruments. Which is why your world doesn't have instruments, or music, or poetry. How sad...

Copying over your save won't re-generate the world. Music evolves during worldgen so you need a new world generated in 42.x.
Aaaaaah, that makes sense. It's a cosmic level problem. That is kind of sad.

I suppose this means I'll have the best storytellers in the entire multiverse.

Thanks for answering. Next time...