Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: HELP! Save my save!  (Read 1089 times)

Ravendarksky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • DFMon.exe - Get rid of DF SPAM
HELP! Save my save!
« on: December 21, 2015, 09:59:07 am »

So I've not been doing any modding, but for some reason my save isn't compatible with the latest versions. I'm hoping people here will be able to help me fix it or tell me if it cannot be done!

I downloaded PeridexisErrant's Starter Pack 0.42.02-r01 and started playing after installing the ironhand graphics that were included. I've put in about 100 hours of play or so... but now am trying to update to 0.42.03-r01.

When trying to play 0.42.03 dwarf fortress I'm getting a message about missing raw item FLUTE. I started looking at the folders and I notice that the ironhand folder (and my save) have a file called item_instrument.txt. This file doesn't seem to be there in default 0.42.03 and also isn't in the ironhand graphics folder included with PeridexisErrant's Starter Pack 0.42.03-r01. (but is there in 0.42.02-r01).

Is there a way of rescuing my save into the newest version or am i fucked with some old raws? I've really no idea how closely related these things are with the graphics pack.

So basically:

• Playing 0.42.02 using ironhand graphics from PeridexisErrant's Starter Pack 0.42.02-r01 to generate world and play
  • Save seems to have different raws to when I create saves without the graphics installed
  • Can my save be 'updated' with the new raws or do I have to start again?

Halnoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Plan for the Worst. Hope for the Best. Have Fun!
    • View Profile
Re: HELP! Save my save!
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2015, 03:26:13 pm »

I am pretty sure you can just add the file you are missing to the 42.03 raws. Have you tried that?

My reasoning here is that when you switch versions your world is already created so the addition of a raw file that existed when the world generated ought to fix the issue.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 03:28:25 pm by Halnoth »
One of the dwarfs walked in front of Thor to get a better view of the prye, and Thor kicked him irritably into the middle of the flames, which made Thor feel slightly better and made all the dwarfs feel much worse.

Cloth Armor Mod http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=158967.msg7063531#msg7063531

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2015, 03:52:40 am »

Did you generate your world with those saves or updated the save already?

Having extra files, especially instruments, causes no issues afaik.

Try loading the save, df will tell you if it's wrong to start with.

Ravendarksky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • DFMon.exe - Get rid of DF SPAM
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2015, 05:03:26 am »

I generated the world with these raws, does this mean I'm missing out on bugfixes/new stuff even if i get it working?

It seems if I add the raws to the relevant graphics pack and then use it that it does now load =D however there are differences between them!

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2015, 05:13:33 am »

Your world might be missing scholars and maybe instruments but remains playable. The creatures will compensate the lack of music with story telling.

Graphic packs are not updated to 0.42, you might find some curated ones inside the lazy newb packs but those are to be considered 'cutting edge' as they simply updated as quickly as possible to satisfy our patience.

TheDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2015, 12:51:55 pm »

Uh, where do I find the 42.x released of PE's starter pack? I can only find the 40.x one...
I love this community. Somebody asks "hay guise how do i tame shark", and then everybody is like "why don't we fling sharks at things with complex mechanical devices?".