Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Are visitors supposed to arrive in droves during sieges?  (Read 1731 times)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Are visitors supposed to arrive in droves during sieges?
« on: December 23, 2015, 12:47:35 pm »

Or is it a bug?

I had an early surprise siege I wasn't prepared for (the goblins were at close to maximum range, with lots of other sites in between), so during the season it took to sort it out at least 3 fighting visitors arrived and were slaughtered, as well as at least two non fighters (who were left alone). One of the non fighters was accidentally tossed when I closed a drawbridge (but survived and entered the fortress later), while another decided to camp under the (at that time) single raised drawbridge, so I didn't want to atom smash the bugger (constructed a new entrance tunnel during the siege, which was needed anyway). A fourth fighter decided to leave the fortress in the middle of the siege and was, of course, slaughtered (and the body ended up beneath a raised drawbridge...).

It really gets messy with civilians entering and leaving in the middle of the conflict, and the fighters make a bloody mess on the surface when they are cut down.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Are visitors supposed to arrive in droves during sieges?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2015, 12:53:39 pm »

I don't think it's a bug. They're just not hindered by sieges like caravans are. I've had visitors drip in while under siege as well. Depending on where they spawn, they either get lucky, or get dead.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Dust Bunnies

• Bay Watcher
  • help
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2015, 12:55:42 pm »

I don't think it's a bug. They're just not hindered by sieges like caravans are. I've had visitors drip in while under siege as well. Depending on where they spawn, they either get lucky, or get dead.

Why are visitors allowed to come during a siege?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2015, 01:12:38 pm »

I didn't really mean a bug as in an error, but rather as in a not intended side effect/unimplemented feature. The short reason for why they are allowed to come is that nothing has been implemented to prevent them from coming.

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2015, 01:30:20 pm »

Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2015, 03:45:59 pm »

Because they didn't know about the siege until they got here?

Of course, then the question becomes "How do migrants and traders know?"
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2015, 03:56:12 pm »

Because they didn't know about the siege until they got here?

Of course, then the question becomes "How do migrants and traders know?"
Meta answer: migrants and traders come from older updates, not from the recent ones that may need bit more honing.
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

ClorrProdigal

• Bay Watcher
  • My God! It's full of dwarves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2015, 04:36:45 pm »

Honestly I don't mind this, the other day I got an unexpected siege and not only was my military not prepared to handle it, my partially constructed above ground barracks served as an extra entrance to my fort. Luckily some mercenaries who happened to be passing by wound up attacking the goblin army. Poor guys were massacred, but they did buy my dwarfs enough time to seal up the fortress.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 04:38:54 pm by ClorrProdigal »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2015, 03:03:18 am »

Thanks for the Mantis link, Detros.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2015, 03:27:31 am »

PTW.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Codyo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2015, 11:29:45 am »

I would argue that when a siege lasts long enough, people will get the message that, "Hey, this place has no traffic coming out of it, and there's a big goblin or undead army camped there. Let's not visit that fortress." So, visitors really shouldn't be flocking to their death in droves, like suicidal lemmings.

Dust Bunnies

• Bay Watcher
  • help
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2015, 11:35:03 am »

I would argue that when a siege lasts long enough, people will get the message that, "Hey, this place has no traffic coming out of it, and there's a big goblin or undead army camped there. Let's not visit that fortress." So, visitors really shouldn't be flocking to their death in droves, like suicidal lemmings.

visitors can't be THAT stupid...right?

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2015, 12:58:35 pm »

We are talking about a game were miners routinely channel out the floor they are standing on.  So... I'll let you answer that question.

Torrenal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2015, 03:20:00 pm »

Its the authentic dwarven ale from a dwarven ale-hall.

In a big world, there are scores of people who would do anything for a mug of the authentic stuff.
//Torrenal