Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bat Infestation  (Read 904 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Bat Infestation
« on: May 27, 2008, 02:11:00 am »

While charming, my cat has been trying to quell a bat infestation all by her lonesome to... somewhat funny results. There are around 30 bats hanging out in my fortress courtyard, making it look somewhat creepy and the cat is totally preoccupied with killing them. Except it can't because it can't fly.

Is there any other way to kill bats? Not that I want to, but if the only vermin hunter in the game can't really get them, what can?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Bat Infestation
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 02:15:00 am »

It's very simple, really.  Find the cat entry, add [FLIER], load up your fort in DF, and watch your cat soar up to attack the bats in mid-air.

When the bat swarm is dealt with and the cat has reached a suitable altitude, exit DF and remove the [FLIER] tag.  Don't worry, it'll land on its feet.

Atlas

• Bay Watcher
  • Supertitanly Tough
    • View Profile
    • Rideo- Latin For Lol
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 02:43:00 am »

Beautiful Winged Cats...
Urist Austin, Axedwarf.  A dwarf barely alive.  Gentledwarves, we can rebuild him. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's first bionic dwarf. Urist Austin will be that dwarf. Better than he was before. Better, stronger, faster.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 06:43:00 am »

The elves once sold me a tame bat, but I suppose you have no access to elf magic. I guess constructing a building around them and flooding it would kill them, but that might be just a little bit overkill. Is it even possible for flying creatures to stumble into animal traps, or do they just normally avoid it by being nowhere near the ground?

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 06:46:00 am »

I thought it was my imagination when I first saw it (and I still suspect that now), but I swear I once saw a kitten detect and take down a kobold thief, which amused me. Those cats are vicious. Who needs dogs?

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 07:10:00 am »

The cat in got them all end. I guess, since there no was escape, they were doomed from beginning. Escaping they could but only temporary since flying is no good if ceiling is only place to be. Cat playthings born and dead.

The cat is paying penance for behaviour inappropriate. Condor food, it is. Bait for my cave-in trap yes. I shall hear it squeal and release bat things from inside stomach where they fly back out from zombie condor beaks.

MuonDecay

• Bay Watcher
  • Say hello to my little μ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2008, 10:46:00 am »

I wanted to make a Fear and Loathing joke, but instead I made this joke about wanting to make a joke.

How post-modern of me.

Ubersoldat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2008, 06:37:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by MuonDecay:
<STRONG>I wanted to make a Fear and Loathing joke, but instead I made this joke about wanting to make a joke.

How post-modern of me.</STRONG>

We can't stop here, thi-

Waaaaait...