Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Woodcutter won't climb to chop trees  (Read 1230 times)

ogreye77

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Woodcutter won't climb to chop trees
« on: December 24, 2015, 07:30:59 am »

Hi guys,
first of all let me say sorry for the stupid question but i'm really new to dwarf fortress and and i have a little problem.

I founded my little empire in a heavily forested biome and actually the entrance of my dwarf's home is within a tight valley between hills.
Well, my woodcutter already chopped down all the trees at ground level but there are many more on the sides of the hills and also on top of them.
But the woodcutter, i obviously designed all the trees, doesn't climb the hills despite the fact that there are many ramps he can use. Merchants and migrants use that ramps too without problems.

How can i force my woodcutter to chop down trees above ground level? Am i doing something wrong?

ClorrProdigal

• Bay Watcher
  • My God! It's full of dwarves!
    • View Profile
Re: Woodcutter won't climb to chop trees
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2015, 08:48:39 am »

Are you sure that your woodcutter isn't just praying/sleeping etc., he could just be distracted with some other task that he's prioritized over chopping wood.

Codyo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2015, 09:15:50 am »

Make sure your woodcut designation is at the base of the tree, at the ground level. Not in the branches, or a higher trunk.

So clear all of your designations on the map. Start from the lowest elevation on the surface and work up. Go d -> x and clear the whole map of designations (while in this mode, shift + arrow keys moves your cursor faster too). Remember your designations can go across multiple z-levels too.

Once all woodcutting designations are gone. Do new ones only at the ground level of trees.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2015, 10:38:59 am »

Seems silly but also have you provided him with a axe to use? (using a training wood axe is preferable starting out)

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2015, 10:55:16 am »

Seems silly but also have you provided him with a axe to use? (using a training wood axe is preferable starting out)
Since he already slew the initial trees, odds are the axe hasn't been destroyed or stolen yet.

Make sure your woodcut designation is at the base of the tree, at the ground level. Not in the branches, or a higher trunk.

So clear all of your designations on the map. Start from the lowest elevation on the surface and work up. Go d -> x and clear the whole map of designations (while in this mode, shift + arrow keys moves your cursor faster too). Remember your designations can go across multiple z-levels too.

Once all woodcutting designations are gone. Do new ones only at the ground level of trees.
This would be my guess ass well.  Trees are multi-z now, so always make sure you are cutting at the base of the trunk.

ogreye77

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2015, 11:53:33 am »

Problem solved clearing out designations at all Z-levels and making new "chop-down-tree" designation  :)

Thank you very much!

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2015, 05:23:49 pm »

Actually, the cutting designation handling has been improved at some point. You can now go to the highest ground level you have trees on, designate all trees (from one end of the map to the other), shift down one level and repeat. The new designation will now shift the designation hitting the branches down one level (as opposed to the older situation, where the first designation was kept). So by designating one level at a time from the top to the bottom you can designate every tree currently on the map.