Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Need help with custom breath attack  (Read 1245 times)

crono23

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Need help with custom breath attack
« on: December 18, 2015, 04:07:50 pm »

I've been trying the last few hours to try and make a dragon that spews necrosis-inducing gas. I'm fairly sure I've managed to actually make it spew the gas I want it to, but the effects I desire don't seem to be working. Anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
Re: Need help with custom breath attack
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2015, 04:30:02 pm »

Could try having the syndrome directly target certain body parts. I'm not sure how LOCALIZED works for inhalation or ingestion syndromes. Though I am not too experienced with interactions, so I may be wrong.

crono23

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2015, 04:48:57 pm »

I attempted replacing LOCALIZED with BP:BODY_PART:ALL and when I tested it on a troll it did say the syndrome was affecting the troll but none of the effects I wanted took hold. I also checked the error log:

Code: [Select]
Unrecognized Body Part Group Token: BODY_PART
Unrecognized CE_PAIN token: 15
Unrecognized Body Part Group Token: BODY_PART
Unrecognized CE_BLISTERS token: 15
Unrecognized CE_NECROSIS token: BP_BODY_PART_ALL

I'm a novice modder so I have little idea what this means other then the game doesn't recognize the tokens I assigned.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2015, 05:24:49 pm »

It would help if we could see the new syndrome.

Also, BODY_PART is not a valid argument. The accepted arguments are BY_CATEGORY, BY_TYPE, and BY_TOKEN

crono23

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2015, 05:29:16 pm »

The raws for the gas are already in the dragon raws, but here's a slightly older copy of the necrosis gas:

Code: [Select]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:GAS:CREATURE_EXTRACT_TEMPLATE]
[STATE_NAME:ALL_SOLID:frozen necrosis gas]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:frozen necrosis gas]
[STATE_NAME:LIQUID:condensed necrosis gas]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:LIQUID:condensed necrosis gas]
[STATE_NAME:GAS:necrosis gas]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:GAS:necrosis gas]
[STATE_COLOR:ALL:YELLOW]
[MELTING_POINT:9870]
[BOILING_POINT:9930]
[PREFIX:NONE]
[SYNDROME]
[SYN_NAME:necrosis gas]
[SYN_AFFECTED_CLASS:GENERAL_POISON]
[SYN_INHALED]
                        [SYN_CONTACT]
[CE_PAIN:SEV:1000:PROB:100:BP:BY_TYPE:THOUGHT:ALL:BP:BY_TYPE:SKIN:ALL:START:15:PEAK:30:END:1200]
[CE_BLISTERS:SEV:750:PROB:100:BP:BY_TYPE:THOUGHT:ALL:BP:BY_TYPE:SKIN:ALL:START:15:PEAK:30:END:1200]
[CE_NECROSIS:SEV:500:PROB:100:BP:BY_TYPE:THOUGHT:ALL:BP:BY_TYPE:SKIN:ALL:START:15:PEAK:30:END:1200]

crono23

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2015, 05:14:58 am »

Ok I managed to actually make it breathe the gas and make the effects work. I am overjoyed just by this. But now come several new problems:

1. The gas range is a bit shorter then I like it. It's actually quite random, as it will rarely go long ranges, but I simply want it to be able to spew the gas with about the effectiveness as a cone of dragonfire.
2. The gas works at random. During testing even at times when it said the creature was caught in a burst of necrosis gas the effects wouldn't always take hold. I want to fix it so it works most of the time.
3. The gas when it hits the creature is boiling hot, and even if the gas effect doesn't take hold, the creature will probably still die from having its skin and fat melted away. I'm sure there's a way to change the temperature so that it doesn't cause heavy bleeding on anything like a human or dwarf.

Here's the updated raws:

Ombragon

• Bay Watcher
  • [FLEEQUICK][CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2015, 06:03:39 am »

I don't know if you can increase the size of the breath attack, but for the boiling problem you need to lower the BOILING_POINT of your poison. The interaction use the temperature of the material in the state wanted (9930 urist for your GAS)

EDIT: 9930 urist in celsius is -37° so i don't know why it doesn't work

EDIT 2: I fixed it, you define later in the raws to set all the boiling and melting points to 57000 and 55000 which mean 26111°, so your necrosis gas is as hot as dragonfire (maybe hotter), you will need to add       
[SELECT_MATERIAL:NECROSIS_GAS]
          [MELTING_POINT:9870]      
          [BOILING_POINT:9930]
at the end of your dragon (and maybe remove the melting and boiling point of your poison)
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 07:03:27 am by Ombragon »

crono23

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2015, 03:44:52 pm »

I changed the temperature tokens like you said and now it doesn't cause any skin-melting, and I also changed TRAILING_GAS_FLOW to TRAILING_VAPOR_FLOW as well as added the [SYN_CONTACT] token and now the gas seems to effect the test subjects most of the time.

Unfortunately while messing with the times to make the necrosis effect set in quickly after the blisters happened the gas now refuses to cause necrosis. All that appears are blisters, and I tested the game a bit to see if it just takes an obscene amount of time to take hold, but no luck.

My best guess is that blisters override necrosis effects, but if that's not true then how do I force the necrosis effects to happen?

Updated raws:

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
    • Pik-Pik Fortress: A Pikmin Mod
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2015, 01:06:19 pm »

Necrosis is weird in that it hardly effects undamaged tissues. The wiki page on syndromes explains it better. It would help if you gave it a specific target or LOCALIZED. That normally makes my necrosis things work.
Currently on vacation. I have internet, but will update sporadically due to vacation.