Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Cage Question  (Read 2792 times)

Pickerel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cage Question
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2008, 07:55:00 pm »

I am having, it seems, and have for quite some time, cage trouble.  Whether built or unbuilt, my dwarves just will not let vermin out of their cages!  And they will not reuse cages in which vermin reside.  This is tying up many cages.  I could just sell the cages, or I could go through the trouble of building and linking them, but with all other creatures it's just unassign.  If I unassign, I get 'canceled task' messages pertaining to the vermin, and the vermin will never be able to be asigned to a different cage.

Does anyone know a simple solution, or will I indeed have to waste the mechanisms linking cages to ever use them again?

Crafty Barnardo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2008, 08:10:00 pm »

One way to avoid this problem is not to train vermin.  If they are untamed, they will escape if you try to move them.  

Also, you don't lose a mechanism if you link it to a cage, I think.  But even if you do, mechanisms are easy to make.

Crafty Barnardo cancels task:  distracted by shiny object

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2008, 11:42:00 pm »

Vermin creatures must remain in either a cage (no limit to how many get stuffed in there, however) or an animal trap (one each).  I haven't tried building, linking and "activating" a cage with vermin inside it, but you could always try to give the thing up for adoption.

There are certain vermin creatures that can be butchered, and I think they'll probably bring the cage they're in along for that (provided it's just sitting in a stockpile).  However, the only ones that I know of are purring maggots, whcih you'll want to keep alive in most cases.

Quiller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2008, 05:26:00 pm »

I've setup a masterwork cage with a Titan in it as a conversation piece.  I designated a small room around it, and the dwarves sometimes have parties at the Titan cage.  I've seen it show up in happiness stats, and since you can't tame Titans in unmodded DF, it seems the best use of it.

tp12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2008, 01:01:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Crafty Barnardo:
<STRONG>One way to avoid this problem is not to train vermin.  If they are untamed, they will escape if you try to move them.  

Also, you don't lose a mechanism if you link it to a cage, I think.  But even if you do, mechanisms are easy to make.</STRONG>

the one in the cage gets retured but the one used in the liver is lost i think. (perhaps deconstructing the liver frees all the mechanisms.)

Untill recently, before stocks ran out, it rained cats and dogs in my fortress...

supremeMang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2008, 12:56:00 pm »

is there any way to lever operate a chain/cage to release an occupant into a pit below? without the use of a pit designation and using a dwarf?

i think it could be done using water to flush the creature off its platform onto a grate fighting surface. can grates be attached to levers?

GreyMario

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2008, 01:12:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by tp12:
<STRONG>...retured... ...liver... ...liver...</STRONG>

Dear god, please learn how to spell.

It's returned and lever.

Also, no mechanisms are lost in any lever operation. All mechanisms are recoverable, you just have to relink the cage when the lever is pulled.

t''s not illegal. The government just doesn''t want you doing it.
Pages: 1 [2]