Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Fuck dwarves.  (Read 5734 times)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: Fuck dwarves.
« Reply #45 on: January 31, 2008, 01:35:00 pm »

Cooked stuff counts as meat when it is cooked.  Once my hunting is in full swing I start rendering fat and creating tallow stews.  

I'm kinda worried if you could cook plants and make them edible by carnivores but I never got around to testing despite plenty of opportunity.

Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

sorbius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 31, 2008, 01:47:00 pm »

dwarf one-"Hey man, whatcha eating?"

dwarf two-"cookie made something special tonight! Beer and fat roast!" *vomit*

dwarf one-"um, you just threw it up.....why are you eating that?  and while I'm asking questions how the hell did he make a roast out of fat and beer???"

dwarf two-"cookie used ALL the beer to make it, so we are otherwise out of booze." *vomit* " you want some?"  

dwarf one-"..." *grabs bowl*  "yeah... I hate this place"  *vomit*

keepin' it real for atleast the last 5 minutes.

Dasqoot

• Bay Watcher
  • He-wenching for the cause.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 31, 2008, 03:19:00 pm »

That's amazing quintin. WOW   :eek: Is that a goblin fort by any chance?

Quintin Stone

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Bureaucrat
    • View Profile
    • RPS
« Reply #48 on: January 31, 2008, 05:31:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Dasqoot:
<STRONG>That's amazing quintin. WOW    :eek: Is that a goblin fort by any chance?</STRONG>

Nope, just dwarves.  They're under contract from Saruman.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 31, 2008, 10:31:00 pm »

I wonder what that place would look like in adventure mode...

That's one hell of a tower mate, you must have insane patience.

Or a macro.

Quift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 01, 2008, 06:57:00 am »

Isengard looks astonishing. Really like it. How is the interior layed out? is the tower inhabitet etc...

and witchfalls doesnt really strike my as goblinesque, I would go for something with a more primitive feel, housing along the edges of a chasm maybe. like an inverted tower, going downwards instead of up, and with rooms on the outside looking in instead of the opposite (duh..)

Quintin Stone

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Bureaucrat
    • View Profile
    • RPS
« Reply #51 on: February 01, 2008, 02:12:00 pm »

Yes, it's taken a lot of patience.  I haven't yet tried out any macro stuff; I've just built up muscle memory laying out the constructions.  It is inhabited.  The ground floor is the barracks, armory, and training.  Second floor is the dining hall (one huge room with a hundred or so tables and chairs).  Third floor food storage, kitchens, stills.  Fourth floor lounge (unfinished).  Fifth, sixth, seventh, eighth floors are residences.

In the basement you'll find stockpiles and most workshops (to keep the noise away from the residences).  The noble rooms are also underground, to allow engraving.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 02, 2008, 03:13:00 am »

I've been trying out some gobbo forting.  Had a bit of a scare early on though, as I settled in a very hot climate (all the ponds had long since evaporated) with no brook, and goblins can't take booze from the start.

I also only had three wooden logs, and my other barrels were stuffed full of turtles (get extra food from the bones, yet another reason to go turtle).  I had to dig out some rock, build a still and a carpenter's workshop (after taking down the previous ones, which were made out of aforementioned logs), and start making barrels and booze.

Well, the first barrel suffered from lack of micromanagement and got stuffed full of useless hide roots.  The second barrel fell prey to a bug, and refused to be stuffed full of anything.  But the third barrel was juuust right.

So I had seven goblins all clamoring or the same barrel.  Two goblins died of thirst, a miner and my very much needed goblins sniper (crossbow).  The reason he was very much needed was because I happened to settle on a place that had not one, but two chasms (so far).  One serpentine and one pit.  I had a tiny bit of space on my side of the chasm, and promptly decided to only dig out a hallway on that side and slap everything else on the far side.

Right over the heads of a family of inquisitive ratmen.

I had to station the crossgoblin there to fire down at them whenever one decided to poke its head out, or else nothing would get done dut to cancellations.  But then he died, and I needed to conscript someone else.

Anyways, things have stabilized somewhat.  There are several deceased batmen at the bottom of the chasm with bolts stuck in them, and there's a ratman who wanders around in his little hole passing out from time to time due to the iron bolt that's currently stuck in his arm.  I even got a wave of completely useless migrants (lye maker, weaponsmith, siege operator, three peasants...) who were sent to work doing menial jobs.

I didn't want the ratmen to bother me anymore, and the angle my goblins were firing from wasn't that great.  So I built a couple bridges out to see if maybve they could hit 'em from there.  No luck.

Since there were two bridges, I figured I'd just remove the one that was connected to my main bridge, and have the other collapse (it was far enough away not to suck anybody in).

Well, guess which end of the bridge my highly skilled mason/architect decided to deconstruct it from?  Yep, he stood on the second bridge, and removed his support, tumbling into the chasm below.

But hey, I'm not complaining.  I've got a fresh new batch of mason recruits, and I didin't lose a single goblin to my controlled cave-in.  Not even the imbecile miner who dug out the last space from the wrong side, and got trapped on the platform.

There's even a perfectly shaped doomtower overlooking my front entrance!  Since it's part of the cliff, it goes up several levels with all manner of bloodletting potential!  It's even got the right spacing inside of it to allow for catapults to be centered comfortably inside.

Pity trolls don't breed though.  I should have fixed up the stuff in the goblin mod before starting up.

Bullion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 02, 2008, 05:20:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Quintin Stone:
<STRONG>
How about Isengard?

[ January 31, 2008: Message edited by: Quintin Stone ]</STRONG>

isn't that tower called Orthanc?  [/Nerd]

Bullion cancels witty informative post: Interrupted by Logic

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 02, 2008, 10:10:00 pm »

Yeah, that's the tower of Orthanc.  But it's in Isengard, and more people know "Isengard" than "Orthanc", so it counts.

EDIT:  I've just had a birth in my fortress!  The giggling goblin girl "Nguslu Nusnakaspuz"

How delightful!  Now, let me get my goblin dictionary to find out what that means...  

"Terror Odorincests".

[ February 02, 2008: Message edited by: Kagus ]

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]