Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Anyone else having issues with cages this release?  (Read 696 times)

Salkryn

• Bay Watcher
  • Pining for the fnords.
    • View Profile
Anyone else having issues with cages this release?
« on: December 21, 2015, 10:56:06 am »

I've got like half a dozen trolls and plump helmet men in my animal stockpile after they get caught in cage traps at the cavern entrance to my fort. The only problem is, I can't seem to do anything with them. Is this something weird with my fort, or is this a consistent problem with other players who rely heavily on cage traps for defense?

RickRollYou2

• Bay Watcher
  • [START_BIOME:EARTH]
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone else having issues with cages this release?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2015, 11:02:38 am »

This is a known bug in the current version with sentient creatures.

For reference, http://bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=9271

Salkryn

• Bay Watcher
  • Pining for the fnords.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2015, 11:50:24 am »

The odd thing is that I can assign one, but only one, of the plump helmet men to a cage.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2015, 11:53:42 am »

The cages for my captured ettin and captured cyclopses showed up just fine in the build list. Didn't try actually constructing their cages anywhere though. I did construct a captured dragon cage without problems, but I don't know if dragons count as 'sentient'.
But what I understand, the bug on Mantis is about assigning them to a cage, the OP says he cannot build the filled cages his traps caught. Although possibly related, that sounds like a different issue.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2015, 12:54:38 pm »

I've caught all sorts of things in cages including a Tapir Man and the cage gets hauled and constructed without any issues.  Haven't tried reassigning him to a different cage though.

mgotthard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2015, 03:25:52 pm »

I currently cannot melt down surplus metal cages. Not sure if a bug exists for that, so I should investigate Mantis.

Also, cannot remove *any* sentient creature (e.g. Goblin)  from a cage except by connecting to a lever. So it's impossible to chain up a captive goblin.

RickRollYou2

• Bay Watcher
  • [START_BIOME:EARTH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2015, 06:00:19 pm »

The cages for my captured ettin and captured cyclopses showed up just fine in the build list. Didn't try actually constructing their cages anywhere though. I did construct a captured dragon cage without problems, but I don't know if dragons count as 'sentient'.
But what I understand, the bug on Mantis is about assigning them to a cage, the OP says he cannot build the filled cages his traps caught. Although possibly related, that sounds like a different issue.

Ah, I had interpreted the "them" in OP's post as referring to the captive creatures, as opposed to the cages. Yes, building cages works fine--building them and connecting them to levers seems to be the only way to release sentient creatures this version, short of bringing them to the trade depot so they break free.