Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: On tavern patrons  (Read 1685 times)

Thomasasia

• Bay Watcher
  • Human Vampromancer
    • View Profile
On tavern patrons
« on: December 17, 2015, 02:01:53 pm »

What are the various types of tavern patrons, and what are the differences between them? The wiki doesn't say much about them at all. Furthermore, how does permanent residence work with the patrons?
"That way leads to the surface. We don't go to the surface."

Ysyua

• Bay Watcher
  • .- ... - .-. ---
    • View Profile
Re: On tavern patrons
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2015, 04:41:03 pm »

What are the various types of tavern patrons, and what are the differences between them? The wiki doesn't say much about them at all. Furthermore, how does permanent residence work with the patrons?
I don't like being that wienerweiner. But, there have been a number of topics on this. Searching "residents" or "patrons" gives lots of results.

To answer your question though:

Depends on what you mean by patrons I guess. People just coming to your tavern? Come in all varieties. It is mostly soldiers, performers, scholars and the occasional noble. I've seen a pretty wide variety.

The two big permanent residents are entertainers and mercenaries. You can get troupes of performers who can petition to stay in your fortress. People have mentioned monster hunters, I haven't had any, personally. You cannot assign labours to residents. Entertainers will generally hang out in your tavern and interact with your dwarves. They perform too, often with their own instruments. Mercenaries can be added to squads but cannot lead them.

I've found that the number of visitors you get jumps up at specific points in play. You'll only get about 3-4 visitors at a time when you first open your doors. When you hit about 50 pop, you might get a bit more. As soon as you have a mayor, you'll get a flood of people. It will seem to just never stop. People coming and going constantly.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 06:39:40 pm by Ysyua »
Quote from: Ysyua
I had a trog give birth while scaling a wall. Just before one of my crossdorfs loosed a bolt at her. The trog baby drowned.
They said the walls were impregnable. You didn't have to prove me wrong by giving birth on them.

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2015, 06:21:08 pm »

I don't like being that weiner.
Whiner or wiener??

PFunk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2015, 08:15:49 pm »

Do travelling scholars petition to work in your fort or do they just show up and use your library freely?

Ysyua

• Bay Watcher
  • .- ... - .-. ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2015, 08:19:27 pm »

Do travelling scholars petition to work in your fort or do they just show up and use your library freely?

Both (I think?). I'm fairly certain your dwarves can take resident scholars on as apprentices and vice versa. I could be wrong on this but I'm fairly certain that's how it works.
Quote from: Ysyua
I had a trog give birth while scaling a wall. Just before one of my crossdorfs loosed a bolt at her. The trog baby drowned.
They said the walls were impregnable. You didn't have to prove me wrong by giving birth on them.

BoogieMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2015, 11:57:39 pm »

Also as a precaution make sure that non-dwarves are not in your justice squad, if you have one. I think I read where someone said that when a non-dwarf killed a citizen during the application of justice(or stopping a berserk dwarf maybe?) that it caused several other deaths as other Dwarfs in the area attacked the foreigners for killing their buddy. Racial tension/weird mini loyalty cascade I guess.

If that is the result of something else though, I don't know. But better safe than sorry.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 12:00:18 am by BoogieMan »
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ BoogieMan, Forumscrub cancels tantrum: Seeking Dr. Pepper

Halnoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Plan for the Worst. Hope for the Best. Have Fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2015, 10:00:48 am »

Also as a precaution make sure that non-dwarves are not in your justice squad, if you have one. I think I read where someone said that when a non-dwarf killed a citizen during the application of justice(or stopping a berserk dwarf maybe?) that it caused several other deaths as other Dwarfs in the area attacked the foreigners for killing their buddy. Racial tension/weird mini loyalty cascade I guess.

If that is the result of something else though, I don't know. But better safe than sorry.

happened to me, caused a 50% population reduction via dwarves beating each other to death with green glass goblets
One of the dwarfs walked in front of Thor to get a better view of the prye, and Thor kicked him irritably into the middle of the flames, which made Thor feel slightly better and made all the dwarfs feel much worse.

Cloth Armor Mod http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=158967.msg7063531#msg7063531

MobRules

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2015, 10:24:03 am »

Ah, yes: classic Loyalty Cascade: happens any time a (supposedly?) friendly being attacks or is attacked by your dwarves.

Same thing happens if you tame a captured invading war beast (turning it friendly), but it goes wild again and attacks someone. Or if you order your military to attack your trade liason. The code for determining who's "friend" and who's "foe" (i.e. anyone who attacks a "friend") goes wonky and spirals out of control.
Ninja dragons! Protect the masterwork roasts!
Is this biome reanimating? I really don't want to know what happens when "absurd numbers of megabeasts" is combined with "reanimating biomes".

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2015, 11:55:12 am »

Maybe a non-dwarf in the justice squad isn't a bad idea, if it is a small creature like a dingo man that would be likely to cause less damage in a beating.