Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is it possible to finally disperse steel into the world?  (Read 1591 times)

bahihs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Is it possible to finally disperse steel into the world?
« on: December 14, 2015, 11:40:46 pm »

I'm curious to know whether it is finally possible to disperse steel in the rest of the world (i.e to non-dwarf civilizations) through trade in Dwarf Mode (or through the taverns somehow).

Solon64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is it possible to finally disperse steel into the world?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2015, 12:30:22 am »

To my knowledge, no. Its a tag associated with each civ upon it being generated. Elves do not have the smelt steel reaction enabled and as such will never be able to make steel, even if you traded it to them (which you can't, since steel takes charcoal, and we all know how prissy elves are).

Basically, the smelt steel reaction in world view is enabled once any site of a civ has iron ores available, as well as trees. If none of their towns/cities have iron ore, they wont be able to make steel, and no amount of trading will let them make it.

Once the knowledge system gets fleshed out, maybe it will be possible to write a book on smelting steel which you can sell to a civ and then theyll import iron and make steel. Would be cool to see that happen. But not right now.
PS: Seriously, you must have, like, super-getting-lost skills. You could go missing in a straight corridor and impale yourself on flat ground if I don't tell you where to go.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2015, 01:24:52 am »

That said....if you make copious amounts of steel goods and trade them out (make sure they are the rigjt size) then yes...theoretically that particular civ will have steel items....will you ever see those items? Not likely....the only way I can imagine seeing those goods is if you gave them a ton of steel goods then turn on them and make them attack you.

If they properly handle the goods you trade them then invaders should have some of it

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2015, 03:54:44 am »

As far as I understand goods traded comes from and goes to the void. The selection of stuff available for trade is based on what's available to the civ, but the actual items are not tracked. There might be an exception for the written material just introduced, though, so the contents of a book sold might be added to the civ, but that's purely a speculation.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2015, 04:23:40 am »

As far as I understand goods traded comes from and goes to the void. The selection of stuff available for trade is based on what's available to the civ, but the actual items are not tracked. There might be an exception for the written material just introduced, though, so the contents of a book sold might be added to the civ, but that's purely a speculation.
Out of interest, what does legends have to say regarding the whereabouts of a book sold to a caravan?

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2015, 05:38:00 am »

(which you can't, since steel takes charcoal, and we all know how prissy elves are).

Incorrect. Steel does not have the [IMPLIES_PLANT_KILL] token, not to my knowledge. This because steel isn't always derived from plant sources - you can make it from mineral coal rather than charcoal.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

EuphoriaToRegret

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
    • My Newgrounds Art
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2015, 08:02:29 am »

In my first siege against goblins, it was made up of elves, humans, and a single dwarf all wearing bits and pieces of steel.
After looting them, I believe it was around 4 steel helmets a steel shield and one steel spear.

I wonder if looting actually happens between goblins and dwarves.

bahihs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2015, 01:23:21 pm »

In my first siege against goblins, it was made up of elves, humans, and a single dwarf all wearing bits and pieces of steel.
After looting them, I believe it was around 4 steel helmets a steel shield and one steel spear.

I wonder if looting actually happens between goblins and dwarves.

This is rather interesting. (Not only the fact that a goblin siege consists of 4 different races) How is it possible that they are wearing steel?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2015, 02:34:39 pm »

I've also received steel from "goblin" sieges in 0.42.X (as well as in 0.40.24), and I'm fairly sure some if the steel items came from goblins.