Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Are books worth weaponizing?  (Read 1999 times)

KtosoX

• Bay Watcher
  • Playing DF since 18.08.2010
    • View Profile
Are books worth weaponizing?
« on: December 12, 2015, 07:23:54 am »

Sooo... When in my first migration wave I got a dwarf competent in axes I drafted her in to the military, gave her an axe and wen't on with my business. Over 2 in game years of later, she gained no levels in using axes. I got an Axedwarf that refuses to use her Axe. She keep it in her inventory, but it's strapped to her upper body. It turns out all this time she was practicing fighting with this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I am now the proud employer of a great Misc. object user.
She wrote it, she owns it, and it seems she isn't willing to part with it. It weighs 3 and it's worth 700 bucks. Is this a common occurrence in this patch?
Build a grid of floor grates above the entire city. Draft a squadron of masons and bomb the crap out of the city with falling constructed walls.
The Geneva Convention would like to have a word with you.
Quote from: Aleksanderus
I have clicked "d" in a forge and look what it did!

Ysyua

• Bay Watcher
  • .- ... - .-. ---
    • View Profile
Re: Are books worth weaponizing?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2015, 07:31:41 am »

Yeah, there seem to be some issues with people holding things they like in this version. Like this guy. There's also people drinking swords out of goblets in adventure mode. I didn't see anything for it on the bug tracker for the books/crafts thing but here's hoping it is eventually resolved. Otherwise we might have to resign ourselves to military dwarves taking early retirements if they decide to become authors. That or war-librarians.
Quote from: Ysyua
I had a trog give birth while scaling a wall. Just before one of my crossdorfs loosed a bolt at her. The trog baby drowned.
They said the walls were impregnable. You didn't have to prove me wrong by giving birth on them.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2015, 07:40:39 am »

There's also people drinking swords out of goblets in adventure mode.
I know it probably isn't, but please tell me that's as unhealthy as it sounds.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Halnoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Plan for the Worst. Hope for the Best. Have Fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2015, 10:46:19 pm »

There's also people drinking swords out of goblets in adventure mode.
I know it probably isn't, but please tell me that's as unhealthy as it sounds.

Good source of iron.
One of the dwarfs walked in front of Thor to get a better view of the prye, and Thor kicked him irritably into the middle of the flames, which made Thor feel slightly better and made all the dwarfs feel much worse.

Cloth Armor Mod http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=158967.msg7063531#msg7063531

ArmokGoB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2015, 02:29:13 am »

That or war-librarians.
Ah, so mages are confirmed for this version?
Cyclopes, prepare to meet your demise at the metaphorical hands of my cushion ruby cabochons.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2015, 02:38:52 am »

That or war-librarians.
Ah, so mages are confirmed for this version?
If magic includes murdering someone with a hardback, yes.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

mgotthard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2015, 07:08:51 am »

I haven't tested it, but I suspect that skill *and* value of the item play a part in selecting the preferred weapon.... So if you have some inordinately valuable weapon available (eg, more than 700), he might switch.

Or item quality; what's the quality of the book?

ps - surely dwarves could use other things like adamantium goblets... And, to be true to Pratchett, (masterwork) bread as weapons.

Dark One

• Bay Watcher
  • 'What do I care for your suffering?'
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2015, 07:46:13 am »

I wonder how book bindings made of dense materials would affect books as weapons. Lead-bound books should be deadly.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2015, 04:53:14 pm »

I wonder how book bindings made of dense materials would affect books as weapons. Lead-bound books should be deadly.

Sadly, only the material of the actual object matters. Bindings are "decorations," and as such, only affect value, not weight, strength, hardness...

Wait! Which is more dense: parchment, pig tail, or papyrus? Then we could do science on the best book to kill with!
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2015, 12:56:11 pm »

So instead of coinstar, we use sheets in a room with a repeating retracting bridge.  Death by a thousand paper cuts.

Dark One

• Bay Watcher
  • 'What do I care for your suffering?'
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2015, 01:05:37 pm »