Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Monster Hunters  (Read 2527 times)

fomori

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Monster Hunters
« on: December 07, 2015, 03:13:43 pm »

I've been having a blast with these new visitors, but one thing which interests me is the idea of monster hunters. Having opened up the caverns I have promptly been attacked by an FB, and have walled off the cavern as a result. It would be fun to send adventurers down to clash with the beast. However, as of yet I haven't had any show up :( Is there anything specific I need to do to attract them?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: Monster Hunters
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2015, 08:32:24 pm »

From what I've heard:
Monster hunters start showing up after you've breached the caverns.
The more popular your tavern, the more visitors you get.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Nikow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2015, 05:02:46 pm »

There is one more condition i think. But it's only my speculation - some of your dwarfs must bring some raports about beasts in the cavern. They did not come in 3 years, but when my patrol dwarves spoted GCS in the cavern and start shooting to it (it fleed out of range), Hunters arived shorty after next caravan.
In my fortress dwarves are dying from old age.
Dwarven wine is a little bit like good chicken soup:  solid at room temperature.

Ysyua

• Bay Watcher
  • .- ... - .-. ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2015, 01:16:53 pm »

There is one more condition i think. But it's only my speculation - some of your dwarfs must bring some reports about beasts in the cavern. They did not come in 3 years, but when my patrol dwarves spoted GCS in the cavern and start shooting to it (it fleed out of range), Hunters arived shorty after next caravan.

Huh! This changes everything for me. I barely breach the caverns unless they have something I absolutely need. Time to build a tavern in the caverns!
Quote from: Ysyua
I had a trog give birth while scaling a wall. Just before one of my crossdorfs loosed a bolt at her. The trog baby drowned.
They said the walls were impregnable. You didn't have to prove me wrong by giving birth on them.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2015, 05:19:25 pm »

Wow, this is a pretty cool mechanic. Next time I manage to get a good fort going I'll have to try to attract some.

They should spawn with massively oversized swords and unrealistically tough leather armor. :P
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2015, 06:19:36 pm »

Im more interested in luring adventurers down there to onpurposefully pit them up against beasts just so i can rob them (specially bred and untrained GCS amongst other beasts) besides doing dirty work on a industrial scale for my benefit.

Wouldn't be too much trouble to build a dungeon now would it given you could breed wild gendered animals forcefully by placing a male in a cage surrounded by females in a 3x3 allowing 1 area of room around the pit to help ensure contact breeding (with stock animals so you dont exhaust your supply, given if you can separate them somehow from their young and if the contact methods work properly given if there is no caps or restrictions.) then releasing them through floor hatches/grates via a lever drop around the cage (inaccessible tile last time i checked for walking, design could be altered i suppose)

Urist McDungeonKeeper pulls a lever, dropping human monster hunter Horace Ironclaw into a pit of ravenous giant dingoes/lions/bears/dangerous large animal of your choice each with dozens of kills to their illustrious name in which your dwarves will probably make cute little figurines of Horace being decimated by later.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2015, 03:19:43 am »

I think I've seen silk farm usage of a GCS resulting in DF believing the cavern the GCS came from originally being populated by the GCS, so no new critters spawn (that can probably be exploited to mostly pacify a cavern as well). This means the dungeon would probably block new critter entrance into the cavern(s) your breeding critters came from.

BesorgterZwerg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2015, 04:02:50 am »

So far only other dwarves and humans visited my fort.
Are there elven and goblin hunters too? Maybe even gremlins? I always wanted to have one. :-*
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 04:05:20 am by BesorgterZwerg »

Bakaridjan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2015, 06:52:14 am »

There is one more condition i think. But it's only my speculation - some of your dwarfs must bring some raports about beasts in the cavern. They did not come in 3 years, but when my patrol dwarves spoted GCS in the cavern and start shooting to it (it fleed out of range), Hunters arived shorty after next caravan.

Interesting. I've got lots of visitors and my caverns have been breached for a long time and I've never seen a monster hunter. I don't always keep the cavs open, but they're open a good part of the time. Thinking back I haven't fought any of the specifically hostile creatures in the caverns other than one FB. Otherwise I've just whacked trogdolytes, crundles and dralthas. Maybe I need to go after something more monsterish, I've got lots of blind cave ogres. It would be a good test of this hypothesis. If it brings monster hunters in, then we would know that FBs don't count towards this condition.

Bakaridjan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2015, 06:40:42 am »

I'm still not getting any monster hunters. I've sent my dwarves and mercenaries down and fought lots of "monsters" in the caverns now, so there should be "reports" of monsters. I haven't seen an CGS, but I've killed Blind Cave Ogres, Cave Crocodiles, Reachers and Jabberers. It's mostly been the in the second layer because the first gets constant FBs (once three at a time, which I've never seen before) and it just has a better layout. I keep the doors open almost constantly.

Maybe I need to get some of my guests down there to see the monsters for themselves? Perhaps a meeting area in the second cavern? Maybe there's some world gen issues where not many were created. This was genned in 42.01.

One question I have, do these hunters show up announced as such or are they regular mercenaries who later petition to join as monster hunters?