Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Teeth stockpile and crafting issue  (Read 3088 times)

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Teeth stockpile and crafting issue
« on: December 23, 2015, 02:50:24 pm »

I have some refuse stockpiles above ground with teeth forbidden but they still get carried there. I also tried making refuse stockpiles where everything except teeth is forbidden, doesn't work. I even tried deleting my above ground stockpiles and no cigar.

Also, my craftsdwarf will sometimes use them but most often not. I have outside refuse hauling enabled in the orders. This might be related to the next tooth in line being from a sentient but can't be sure.

And by the way, I have plenty of teeth.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Teeth stockpile and crafting issue
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2015, 03:03:35 pm »

Teeth that get knocked out of a dwarf's (elf's, goblin's, etc.) mouth are not suitable for crafting.  A craftdwarf's workshop is looking for tusks.  Essentially, ivory.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2015, 03:12:51 pm »

Oh, so there's no use for dog, trogolodyte or cave crocodile teeth?

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2015, 03:16:30 pm »

I think there's some creatures that drop teeth as a result of butchering but I'm not certain.  Any teeth generated by combat, regardless of species, can't be used.

If it's brought to a Body Part refuse stockpile, it can't be used.  If it's brought to a Teeth/Ivory refuse stockpile, it can be used.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 03:18:33 pm by Bouchart »

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2015, 03:46:43 pm »

Thanks

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2015, 04:40:58 pm »

As indicated above, there are two kinds of teeth, tusk type ones and ordinary ones. Ogres and Gorlaks have tusk type teeth, and I'm fairly sure they can be knocked out in combat, as I have had problems with those in the past, and I'd expect it can happen with an elephant, walrus, etc. as well (0.40.24 experience, though). Since I don't think sapient parts can be processed in 0.42.03 (they could in 0.40.24, if the butchering happened "naturally" and they weren't dwarves), there is no longer any use for these sapient large teeth.
Smaller teeth used to go into the body part refuse stockpile category, but since sapients now end up in the corpse stockpile, I think their teeth go there as well, and would expect tusks to do too. ...Just checked my fortress, and goblin teeth have been hauled to the corpse stockpile. I don't have any sapient's tusks to check, though.

Thus, Bouchart is slightly out of date. If it's sent to either the corpse or the refuse body part stockpiles it's useless, if it's sent to the teeth/ivory one it can be used, but I don't make that refuse distinction: just send all refuse to the refuse pile and sapient corpses to the corpse stockpile. When starting my bone carving jobs I just set ivory, horn, and totem on repeat, together with whatever bone ones I want. Various pieces of rings etc. are produced, but I haven't paid much attention to what animals they came from, as in the past, it was just a way of getting rid of garbage (via the caravan garbage removal service). Given that there seem to be some ivory jobs, I'd expect large haulers (horses, etc) to yield ivory type teeth.