Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Human Mercs Loyalty Cascade and Liason Death  (Read 1386 times)

Halnoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Plan for the Worst. Hope for the Best. Have Fun!
    • View Profile
Human Mercs Loyalty Cascade and Liason Death
« on: December 06, 2015, 03:22:56 pm »

Haha the new version is amazing.

I had a fort of 250, most of my military is made up of human mercs.

A dwarf failed a mood and went beserk. So of course I sent my military to kill it. This caused all the dwarves to attack the human mercs. The squad leaders in the human merc squads started defending their squad mates. This caused my civies to attack my military. Then the visiting performers jumped in.

The result:
175 dead residents.
75 surviving residents.

Amazing.

Edit: Forgot to include the liason who was outright killed by a performance troop in the tavern. (the liason was a goblin)

Edit 2: This gets even better, apparently the dwarves beat each other to death with their goblets.

Edit 3:
« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 03:32:15 pm by Halnoth »
One of the dwarfs walked in front of Thor to get a better view of the prye, and Thor kicked him irritably into the middle of the flames, which made Thor feel slightly better and made all the dwarfs feel much worse.

Cloth Armor Mod http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=158967.msg7063531#msg7063531

kemoT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Human Mercs Loyalty Cascade and Liason Death
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2015, 03:35:14 pm »

Epic. What happened next? Are visitors still hostile? Do they keep coming?
Sorry for all grammar and spelling mistakes, English is not my native language.
I greet
kemoT

Halnoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Plan for the Worst. Hope for the Best. Have Fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2015, 03:45:22 pm »

So far they keep coming and are not hostile. It isn't quite over yet though, since there are 3 dwarves slowly beating a child to death with =green glass goblet=
One of the dwarfs walked in front of Thor to get a better view of the prye, and Thor kicked him irritably into the middle of the flames, which made Thor feel slightly better and made all the dwarfs feel much worse.

Cloth Armor Mod http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=158967.msg7063531#msg7063531

SMASH!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2015, 03:57:41 pm »

Post some pics of that mess plz.

PFunk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2015, 04:01:30 pm »

Certainly entertaining. I suppose this should be considered a bug?

Until a resolution exists I guess you might just need to keep a special Dwarf only hit squad for meting out special justice.

Moonshadow101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2015, 10:45:54 pm »

There does seem to be some kind of wierd reactionary thing here. I had a dwarf go berserk from a failed strange mood, the mercs I sent to kill him ended up killing four other Dwarves in the process.

arbarbonif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2015, 04:03:13 pm »

There does seem to be some kind of wierd reactionary thing here. I had a dwarf go berserk from a failed strange mood, the mercs I sent to kill him ended up killing four other Dwarves in the process.

Meh, all the stunties look alike.  Dumb beards.
       -Olith McAboutToBeSlaughteredByDwarvenHordes

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2015, 04:31:59 pm »

This sounds similar to some of the stuff that happened in earlier versions, and is probably coming from the same sort of coding interactions that loyalty cascades came from. It's probably mixed in with the changes to how fighting works with the introduction of the brawling mechanics for non-lethal fighting and how that changed things. It's certainly a bug.

In essence though it's just racial tensions boiling over resulting in conflict between your fort dwellers. Be proud, your fort was host to a race war.  :P
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Chief10

• Bay Watcher
  • since 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2015, 06:05:53 pm »

snip

It's probably mixed in with the changes to how fighting works with the introduction of the brawling mechanics for non-lethal fighting and how that changed things. It's certainly a bug.

snip

Is this certainly a bug?
Like it is advantageous to hire mercenaries, but you have to be careful with them because your dwarves could grow resentful, and ethnic conflict could be the end of your city.
When it is phrased like that it sounds like a feature! Perhaps changes can be made to lessen the immediacy of such actions, for example the human mercs would have to kill a few dwarves before it boils over into civil war.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2015, 07:35:35 pm »

snip

It's probably mixed in with the changes to how fighting works with the introduction of the brawling mechanics for non-lethal fighting and how that changed things. It's certainly a bug.

snip

Is this certainly a bug?
Like it is advantageous to hire mercenaries, but you have to be careful with them because your dwarves could grow resentful, and ethnic conflict could be the end of your city.
When it is phrased like that it sounds like a feature! Perhaps changes can be made to lessen the immediacy of such actions, for example the human mercs would have to kill a few dwarves before it boils over into civil war.

Since the cause is most likely from the same source as loyalty cascades, yes it is a bug just as loyalty cascades are. That's not to say it isn't dwarfy or FUN!, many bugs are both those things, just that it's probably not what Toady intended.

Pretty sure conflict between races/ideologies is already part of how taverns and relationships work though, so when guilds/factions get put into the game a civil war system might get fleshed out using that as a framework.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.