Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 42.1 Bags and Seeds and Piles  (Read 840 times)

CatKate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
42.1 Bags and Seeds and Piles
« on: December 07, 2015, 07:41:39 am »

Hey guys,

yeah, it's stupid Cat again. Sorry.

In my new game (42.1) I am encountering problems with bags and seeds.

I have the (quite usual I guess) following seed setup: One stockpile, accepting only the seed without barrels, accepting from everywhere, delivering only to stockpile two. Stockpile two, accepting only from stockpile one, accepting barrels also. In my old fortress in 24.x this meant that seeds were brought to stockpile one, then moved from one to two and got bagged and barrelled there.

Now my seeds usually are stored in a bag ANYWHERE, more often than not in a bag in some bag storage (which does certainly not accept seeds). From there, sometimes, the bag with the containing seeds is brought into stockpile one and from there into stockpile two. There the bag is emptied (i.e. the seed finally reaches its true destination) and the bag brought bag into some bag storage. There is not a single bag in stockpile two, only seeds. Good: Seed reaches destination in the end. Bad: It needs a long time to do so and interferes with the industry using the pirated bags.

I also noticed that my dimple dye is not stored in bags but directly in a barrel. I am also getting errors for "no dye item" with my dyeing job. I currently am working with forbidding barrels for that stockpile.

Any ideas what's wrong?

Thanks for your help!
Cheers,
Cat

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 42.1 Bags and Seeds and Piles
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2015, 03:03:30 pm »

The behavior of seeds has definitely changed since I last played.  In 0.40.something seeds were always stored in bags, which could then optionally be stored in barrels.  Now, seeds are dumped out of the bags directly into the barrels.

What this means for stockpiles and workflow remains to be seen.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2015, 03:25:50 pm »

It means I won't need to make a zillion bags in order to get one or two filled with sand or dye.

Agent_86

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2015, 03:29:19 pm »

I also noticed that my dimple dye is not stored in bags but directly in a barrel. I am also getting errors for "no dye item" with my dyeing job. I currently am working with forbidding barrels for that stockpile.
That sounds like a bug.  Should be reported on the bug tracker.
When something isn't quite dorfy enough, just add magma.

CatKate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2015, 03:39:32 am »

Hey guys,

thanks for helping!

I have some more information now:
Un-barreling the dye makes "a pile of dimple dye". I don't know if that is supposed to be, but it doesn't sound to strange. Anyhow, forbidding barrels in the dye stockpile got the situation back to working conditions.

However, my seeds are still all over the place. I now have enough of them that the real seed stockpile is stocked as well, so there is no real problem anymore, but I encounter seeds in all of my bag stockpiles (all of them in theory not accepting any sort of seed).

Also I have more trouble with barrels. Quarry bushes in barrels are only sometimes delivered to the farmer's to be bagged, otherwise the option "Process to bag" is redded out. Also barreled sweet pods will neither get milled nor barreled. I will try now what happens if I forbid the barrels in the harvest stockpiles.

How can I file a bug report?

Thanks for your input!
Cheers,
Cat

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2015, 07:04:16 am »

Bugs are reported here http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view_all_bug_page.php, and probably requires you to register. Try to search for any previous report of the same issue first, though.

I would guess a pile of dimple dye in the floor is useless: it would probably have to be scoped up into a bag to be useful, which I suspect cannot be done. A possibility is that Toady's fixing of the lye in bucket in barrel bug had some side effect, but I thought that was an isolated RAW issue.

I've seen seed bags where they shouldn't be as well. When it comes to quarry bushes, are you sure it's a bug rather than the old "barrel locked due to access by other dorf" issue? If you've disabled "mix food" on the options screen and all quarry bushes have been harvested (so none could be in transit), the barrel with the leaves should be available for processing at all times, but as soon as anyone accesses a container to put something in it the container is locked from access, and nobody can take anything out of it (or put more stuff in it) until the locker is done (Caused my repeating gem cutting to frequently break off because new raw gems were stored).

CatKate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2015, 10:46:20 am »

Hey Patrick,

thanks for your answer!

Concerning the barrel-locked bug: I am using two stacks for each of my seed and plant type - one with barrels forbidden, feeding the other (next to it) with barrels allowed. This worked for me in my old fort perfectly well, but in the new one I get a lot of cancellations. It improves some time after forbidding barrels into the fed-to stockpile as well, but naturally this leads to other problems (spoiling food, mainly). Well, I think I will give it a try with the bug reporter. Thank you!

Cheers,
Cat

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2015, 11:29:18 am »

The normal seed feeder stockpile setup has both stockpiles barrel-less, as far as I know. Nowadays I just don't bother, but have one seed stockpile by the underground plots and one by the overground ones (set to the corresponding sets of seeds). Sure, there are some planter cancellations, but I just ignore those, as they're not important. The stockpiles need to be large enough for two bags of each kind of seed you use, at least for the underground one.

For booze/thread producing plants I use a quantum stockpile. The problem there is that the feeder stockpile has a tendency to stall, as putting stuff into the mine cart is a low priority task, so the feeder has to be fairly large.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2015, 12:07:28 pm »

Seed stockpiles are totally different in 0.42.  Just make a small food stockpile, set it to allow only seeds, leave it alone.  Dwarves will put barrels in it, and then transfer seeds into the barrels.  They will use bags as temporary holders sometimes, so make sure there are some unused bags available.

None of the 0.40 workarounds for seeds seem to be necessary any more.

You'll still get the occasional job cancellation when someone's dumping seeds into a barrel right when a farmer wants to plant some seeds, but it shouldn't be too terrible.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Ysyua

• Bay Watcher
  • .- ... - .-. ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2015, 07:41:36 pm »

That sounds like a bug.  Should be reported on the bug tracker.

There is something on the tracker for this. Currently, the work around is to not put dye in barrels. If you have a dye stockpile with no barrels, dorfs will put usable bags of dye into it and the dye can be used.
Quote from: Ysyua
I had a trog give birth while scaling a wall. Just before one of my crossdorfs loosed a bolt at her. The trog baby drowned.
They said the walls were impregnable. You didn't have to prove me wrong by giving birth on them.