Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Military will start equipping armor?  (Read 1437 times)

omega_dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Architect, Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile
Military will start equipping armor?
« on: December 07, 2015, 10:35:51 pm »

He said he fixed it! Sweek Armok, it's a miracle! I might actually make a military now!

Quote from: Toady One the Great
I've cleaned up the issue with the dwarf militia not using armor correctly

Good thing too, because invaders are back.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So yeah, wasn't this voted #1 glitch in the perma-voting thread or something? I know it was way up there and was a big reason people disliked DF. Definitely a reason why I never trusted military and eventually switched to just not having one. And it's fixed! (We can hope.) Toady be praised.

EDIT: Totally missed the entire thread about this one post below. Feel free to delete as a dupe.

Edit 2: You know, just nevermind, this was apparently for a glitch new to 0.42.01. *Whistles and walks away* Nothing to see here.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Military will start equipping armor?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2015, 11:57:45 pm »

Military not equipping armour (outside of this bug) is pretty much entirely due to an incorrect setting somewhere on the complex military screen. I'm sure it could be improved.

My preferred way would be to have a cute bearded Urist pop up at the bottom of the screen and give 'advice' while you're struggling.

'Oh, no, are you sure you want naked wrestlers roaming the halls?'
'Ha ha ha, forgotten a schedule someplace?'
'Didn't notice the highlight bar reset itself, did you? Guffaw...'
'Well, if you REALLY think you're done, go ahead and exit. Dorfs are gonna stand around laughing at you though...'
'Helmet? On a cap? Do you defy the laws of nature!?'

Hmm. Yeah. That would be fun. :)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2015, 03:43:10 am »

Well, Shonai_Dweller, I wouldn't be surprised if it was possible to make such a DFHack plugin, if you'd like to try...

It can be noted that I tend to set up a complete uniform over clothing knowing much of it won't be worn, but that allows me to switch to replace clothing when DT tells me all the pieces have been allocated, so all actions that might seem stupid might not be completely stupid (I hope...).

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2015, 08:44:58 am »

So yeah, wasn't this voted #1 glitch in the perma-voting thread or something?

You're mixing up the long-standing bugs ("A dwarf with Miner labor enabled can never wear armor while in civilian mode", etc.) with the brand new short-term 0.42.01 ~ 0.42.02 bug.  Toady fixed the 0.42.02 bug, or so he thinks.  We have no idea how this will impact the long-standing bugs.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2015, 09:36:21 am »

This one in particular is game breaking...the other ones though are a pretty major pain and I would love to see them fixed in this round of bug smashing...

Speakafreak22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2015, 12:47:39 pm »

Pumped for the fix. My armorsmiths are bored :(
I was able to equip shields, breastplates, and greaves (Or gauntlets, was it?) so that's something at least.