Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: But i tried so hard  (Read 817 times)

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
But i tried so hard
« on: May 22, 2008, 05:16:00 pm »

First I selected a terrifying mountain area, right next to a terrifying wet broadleaf forest, then I gave my seven dwarves no starting skills, a single axe and enough food and drink to last about six months. Then just in case I decided that I wasn't going to cook drink, lay any traps or designate a dining room (which is the best way to kill the everyone is happy thing).

I figured this should cause some interesting problems. Zombie flying eagles and no pick to dig save holes in etc

But by then end of the first year they were living it up on easy street, I had outdoor farming giving me plenty to drink, hunting going nicely for food and a now migrant with a pick has shown up.

It's most annoying when you try to stack the game against you and then find nothing even wants to attack you  :( I think the dangerous things all killed each other or something because there is a large list of dead which I had nothing to do with. Most annoying.

Anyway does anyone have suggestions (or even seeds) for deadly locations?

Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
Re: But i tried so hard
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2008, 05:26:00 pm »

ROFL. Usually the opposite happens when I'm not looking for a challenge.
Attack the traders?

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2008, 06:04:00 pm »

Remove the baby-snatcher tag from the goblins, regen, start a new game.

Tell me how it goes without traps or rooms.

Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2008, 06:53:00 pm »

Also, embark on a town or on adamantite. The values of these things are added to your fort value, as if you made them, so you'll have a head start when it comes to big attacks. There's a "hands off" challenge around here where the player didn't make any input to the dwarves, no jobs, no workshops, etc. He just saved and loaded. The dwarves ate vermin, played in the rain, gained mad social skills, and were ecstatic. Nobody came to bother them and he abandoned his ... er ... camp? after about 5 years.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2008, 09:15:00 pm »

Find a terrifying swamp. Beak dogs and harpies are both incredibly nasty, and you can't even stop the harpies by building walls.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2008, 01:15:00 am »

Mods. I recommend Wiles mod. Lots of new things to kill you. Also, try reducing your map size so that the predators have no choice but to hunt down your dwarves.

There's nothing quite like watching a fight between a giant bat, a giant zombie eagle, a skeletal dragon, a screaming goblin thief, and a Dwarven wrestler wearing bone armour.

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2008, 08:38:00 am »

The first time I embarked on a haunted mountain area, the only wildlife on the whole map consisted of a whopping THREE zombie groundhogs. I was a bit disappointed.
99 barrels of beer in the pile
99 barrels of beer!
If some dwarves know the way to the pile
0 barrels of beer in the pile!

Dareon Clearwater

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:colorful underwear]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2008, 08:52:00 am »

Yeah, zombie groundhogs aren't the most terrifying things on the brain-eating front.

Personally, I'm working my way up to haunted biomes.  I've gotten fortress management down to my satisfaction, now I've turned on invaders and will see how I deal with sieges.  When I feel like my siege defense is adequate, then I might try setting up shop next to one of these evil oceans the map gen keeps giving me.  See if zombie whales are as horrible as they say.

It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2008, 09:45:00 am »

Pah. Why work your way up? Just dive into the hardest thing you can find! It's more fun to learn "on the job", so to speak.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2008, 10:03:00 am »

Uh, I usually get the opposite effect, tried to make a joyous fortress (in a joyous enviroment) ended in disaster when one of the gators decided to go on a dwarven killing rampage. Not to mention the horrible river and its "joyous" wildlife.
First mountain i dared to embark ended up in beakdogs (i think) gallore.
Doppel has been ecstatic lately. He took joy in playing DF lately. He slept on a rough cave keyboard recently.
He is a member of the Dwarf Fortress Forums.
Doppel likes the color Dark Blue, cats for their aloofness and girls for their silky soft brea beards.
He appreciates art and natural beauty.