Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Advanced World Gen for beginners  (Read 1774 times)

Romeofalling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Art of Amul
Advanced World Gen for beginners
« on: December 06, 2015, 05:09:28 pm »

I am a total newb with this world gen stuff. However, I have a very nice map and location I'm currently playing in 0.40 that I would like to duplicate into 0.42 as best as possible. How do I do that?

austinwelser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Advanced World Gen for beginners
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2015, 05:13:08 pm »

I do believe that saves from 40 are compatible with 42 so you don't have to create a new one, haven't tried it myself though.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 05:15:28 pm by austinwelser »

Romeofalling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Art of Amul
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2015, 05:14:17 pm »

Yes, but saves from 0.40 won't have music, and I'm guessing there are other things that it'll be missing.

ancistrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2015, 05:17:07 pm »

This may be needlesly general for your case.
1.duplicate the save folder (so that you have a backup).
2.continue the game
3.abandon
4.go to legends mode
5.export details(p)
6.copy the settings from the exported file (like region1-world_gen_param.txt) into data/init/world_gen.txt
7.in place of [TITLE:XXX] replace XXX with some name you made up, so that you will be able to quickly identify the settings in the game.
8.Go to advanced world gen.
9.Generate new world from those settings.

Romeofalling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Art of Amul
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2015, 05:48:59 pm »

Huh! That's easy enough.

My file starts with [TITLE:xxx = number]. Should I keep the second half?

ancistrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2015, 05:56:00 pm »

Ive never seen that but it shouldnt matter, its just a name. Its just if you did this a lot of times you could easily lose track of which is which.

Romeofalling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Art of Amul
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2015, 07:34:03 pm »

Okay, so I used the new DFHack commands I heard about to Ctrl-Shift-L to enter Legends mode from my Fortress, and Cntl-A to export all the legends, found the data, copied it over, and then tried to create it in the new world. It didn't go as I expected -- for one thing, it rejected several maps, and the final map it started generating a history on looks nothing like what my current map is.

Trying it out in 0.40.x had the same problem. It generated a new world. What I want is to extract the necessary details to, for example, post to the World Gen Cookbook Thread.

I notice that my LazyNewbPack comes with several optional worlds to generate, and these all have a lot of long string data at the bottom of their WorldGen code that mine is missing, and that the data supplied in the WorldGen Cookbook Thread also has these long strings.

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2015, 11:00:30 pm »

By the way, you'll have music if you transfer the saves. SoundSense works on 42.02, just update its setting to grab the gamelog.txt from 42.02. The only thing you might be missing is graphics (unless you're using a kind that's been updated) and the things DFhack gives you.
I just had a "lord consort" visit and decide to stay. Preparing for Trojan war reenactment.
Protip: statues cannot be made out of wood unless they're artifacts. If you see what appears to be a wooden statue outside your fort and it's not an artifact, destroy it immediately.

Romeofalling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Art of Amul
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2015, 12:32:39 am »

I meant musical instruments and suchnot. The new content. Civilizations won't make taverns and libraries, etc, if I don't run worldgen in 0.42.

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2015, 01:48:39 am »

Okay, so I used the new DFHack commands I heard about to Ctrl-Shift-L to enter Legends mode from my Fortress, and Cntl-A to export all the legends, found the data, copied it over, and then tried to create it in the new world. It didn't go as I expected -- for one thing, it rejected several maps, and the final map it started generating a history on looks nothing like what my current map is.
This is to be expected. The game has changed, and consequently, the umpteen trillionth permutation for those parameters will be different than the it was in the last version. It's like numbering a family, from youngest to oldest, and then failing to take into account any subsequent births. When things change, you'll invariably wind up referring to the wrong person.
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."