Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Immigrants  (Read 1455 times)

LlamaLlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Immigrants
« on: November 26, 2015, 08:33:09 pm »

It's been a little more than two years and I still havn't got a wave of immigrants. There are so many jobs that need to be done and so little people. Does any one know why this is?

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Immigrants
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2015, 09:50:07 pm »

Either your embark is too dangerous and they do not want, or more likely your parent civilisation is dead and you are the sole survivors.
I just had a "lord consort" visit and decide to stay. Preparing for Trojan war reenactment.
Protip: statues cannot be made out of wood unless they're artifacts. If you see what appears to be a wooden statue outside your fort and it's not an artifact, destroy it immediately.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2015, 02:28:25 am »

If you're under siege when immigrants are due they won't show up. The first two migrant waves should appear even if your civ is dead (but I don't know what happens if they're blocked by a siege). Check the Civ screen and expand your civ. If it says this civ doesn't have any important leaders, the civ is probably dead.

99Hedgehog

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:USE_TILESET: UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2015, 06:15:20 am »

Either your embark is too dangerous and they do not want, or more likely your parent civilisation is dead and you are the sole survivors.
migrants arrive from the void when your civilization is dead
[under a terrifying biome]
"Can you describe what the surface is like?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8ZqFlw6hYg

Terff

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed...
    • View Profile
    • What is the answer to this question?
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2015, 12:49:30 pm »

migrants arrive from the void when your civilization is dead
Only one or two wave of immigrants iirc, after which you will get 0 more.
I need some way to put armor on babies so I can start training them early.
Quote from: Lectorog on August 06, 2013, 03:57:45 pm

A goblin siege!?  Good we haven't had one in awhile, we are running out of new clothes

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2015, 08:13:26 pm »

Yeah you get two hard-coded waves, then no more if your civilisation is dead.
I just had a "lord consort" visit and decide to stay. Preparing for Trojan war reenactment.
Protip: statues cannot be made out of wood unless they're artifacts. If you see what appears to be a wooden statue outside your fort and it's not an artifact, destroy it immediately.

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2015, 09:10:46 pm »

Most likely you've set your population caps too low, either intentionally to compensate for the "overshoot" that used to happen (but has since been fixed), or accidentally by installing an old mod that overwrote your config files. Verify that you have both population caps set to exactly as many dwarves as you want.

If your civilization is extinct and the population caps suppressed the two hard-coded waves then you won't receive immigrants until you start a new fortress.

LlamaLlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2015, 10:29:33 pm »

If a civilization is dead then only one caravan comes, I have had several caravans so that's probably not the answer, also the other world I started in also didn't get any migrants.

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2015, 01:54:01 am »

I believe, though don't quote me on this, that caravans from the void will still arrive even if you have a dead civ, just no liason.

If you've got two worlds with the issue, it's probably that your population cap is set too low, so migrants won't arrive.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2015, 03:52:47 am »

The fortress I'm currently playing receives no migrants and no caravans, and hasn't appointed a monarch (10+ years). The two fixed migrant waves arrived, but I don't think any caravan arrived (I'm using a save received at the 1 year mark). Thus, I believe you'll get both caravans and migrants from the void when your civ is dying, but not when it's dead (apart from the two mandatory migrant waves).