Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Just Cause 3 - Open world FPS  (Read 1335 times)

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Just Cause 3 - Open world FPS
« on: December 01, 2015, 04:44:45 am »

http://store.steampowered.com/app/225540/

I got my copy however from GreenmanGaming (41 dollars at time of this post, a really great offer.)

Also I dunno if there is another thread, I did search but..."just"..."cause" are pretty popular words search finds and it doesn't search both words together but separate. But all my time on the forums, I haven't seen a thread come up so either it hasn't active in a long time or I just missed it. Either way, here is a thread for it. :P Heck maybe I made a thread ages back and don't remember lol, I did that once...or twice...yeah...xD

The game is still downloading, but it looks amazing. Seems to have performance issues for a lot of people (seems to be the only complaint that I saw in steam reviews), but reading the actual steam forums, people with higher end PCs don't have any issues. It definitely looks to need a more modern PC to play. Or you can get the console version. Plus new drivers and patches will fix performance up anyway. Though it does use a sort of shady protection system (the same one dragon age inquisition uses/used), which might be a big deal for some people. Thought I'd throw that out there. Doesn't bother me personally, since I played Dragon Age and it didn't do anything to my PC at all lol. Just a warning for those who care.

The game looks great though (not just graphics, but everything you can do). And I LOVED Just Cause 2, that game was so much fun. That game was some of the most fun open world shooting I've had and I don't generally like FPS games (well, I like the open world ones quite a bit if they are singleplayer).

Anyone play Just Cause 3 yet (it seemed to get released a day early on steam) and have any feedback? Or planning to get it?

« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 05:03:12 am by Vendayn »
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Just Cause 3 - Open world FPS
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2015, 05:42:14 am »

JC2 was awesome and I didn't even get into all the mods for it. Even if 90% of what you're doing is running around blowing up all the outposts, it took dozens of hours before that became rote. The cheesy 80s action story was also a fresh change from modern FPS fare.

I hope JC3 is more of the same - and emphasis on more, not just a larger world but perhaps a bit more variety in its combat mechanics (though what those could be, I don't know).

I do plan to get it, but only at its first major sale.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2015, 06:12:47 am »

posting to watch - JC2 was fun, hopefully JC3 is as great as the previous game.
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2015, 10:42:28 am »

Reviews are mixed. Personally I think I'll wait until at lest the first few patches come out. I feel like that last sentence perfectly sums up modern AAA game development, to be honest. Release a game for $60, optionally patch bugs after thousands of purchases.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2015, 11:46:46 am »

JC3 Multiplayer when
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2015, 11:57:10 am »

Yeah, after the bugginess of getting JC2 to work I'm going to hold off on this until it's been patched and trimmed down to $15 or so.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2015, 12:03:10 am »

I watched a few Let's Plays (possibly of the beta version) and it looked pretty fun. Probably closer to Saints Row than the previous games, with a combination of grapnel/parachute/wing-suit allowing almost unlimited flight at good speed.

C4 and rocket booster C4 looks like a good laugh as well. And the inevitable fuel barrel slingshot artillery (after you get bored of slingshotting people/cars/animals).

There's the normal hilarious physics jumbles and AI non-response (Dude. You have a cow attached to your car. But keep right on driving.....) in these sorts of things. There's a bit of extra environment destruction too, which can be funny with the aforementioned AI.

Dropping transport planes in shipping boxes seems to be a feature as well.

All up, I don't know how long it will hold your interest, but while it does it looks like it'll be a blast.
It's a game. Have fun.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2015, 12:19:40 am »

Eh? Sky-surfing with the grapple gun and parachute was the single best way to get around in JC2 as well. Also the best way of climbing vertical cliff faces. If you did it properly you could outrun just about anything short of a jet aircraft.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2015, 05:47:07 am »

I haven't played this, but Reddit posts claim it has huge problems with DRM. Basically the same as the new Sim City did; always-online DRM overloaded their servers, meaning the authentication keeps failing for players. Offline play has problems too. I guess this is ironic since the enemies in the game are called D.R.M.

boki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2015, 08:20:33 am »