Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dormitory vs. Individual bedrooms?  (Read 2650 times)

BoogieMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi
    • View Profile
Dormitory vs. Individual bedrooms?
« on: November 27, 2015, 11:25:44 pm »

To avoid pathfinding and labor costs, I was considering restricting everyone but nobles and the best craftsdwarves to dormitories. Before this I usually ended up making 2x2 or 3x3 rooms for average dwarves. Eventually it turns in to a lot of labor and time.

I know Dwarves prefer to have their own room, but how easy is it to offset that with nice decorated dorms and not going particularly out of your way otherwise to keep them happy? Is it the same for military to stick to barracks? Or do they consider that somehow "worse"?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 11:27:20 pm by BoogieMan »
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ BoogieMan, Forumscrub cancels tantrum: Seeking Dr. Pepper

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Re: Dormitory vs. Individual bedrooms?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2015, 02:27:24 am »

There's not really much difference. Dwarves get a very small negative thought from sharing rooms (unless it's changed recently) which is easily offset by chucking a couple of statues around.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2015, 09:36:00 am »

As Orange Wizard said, the shared room thoughts can be easily counteracted.  I use Dorms simply for efficiency; creating 2 or 3 throughout the Fortress, typically on a different Z Level from the industry it is built for, to ensure the Dwarves aren't woken by noise.  However, all of my skilled & military Dwarves get their own bedroom.

I highly recommend you look into a program called QuickFort.  It allows you to lay out blueprints in Excel & import the digging/building designations directly to DF.  It makes starting a new Fortress or building a Mega Dining Hall just so incredibly easy.

BoogieMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2015, 10:52:43 am »

Sweet, thanks for the replies. Definitely going to go for mostly dorms now.. That'll save a lot of work.

I was aware of quickfort, but I've yet to use it for some reason. I'll change that, thanks!
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ BoogieMan, Forumscrub cancels tantrum: Seeking Dr. Pepper

blapnk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2015, 06:27:15 pm »

1x1 bedrooms with no walls and an engraved floor can be very space efficient. Easy to set up and you can convert old dorms when you have enough beds without having to even move the furniture. The negative thought from shared rooms might be small but the positive ones you're missing out could potentially be more significant. Helps protect you against vampires too. That said, shared dorms do allow you to scatter them about your fortress so dwarves will pick the closest one instead of occasionally trekking across the whole complex to get to their assigned bunk.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2015, 07:30:49 pm »

Bedrooms in DF aren't rooms* with beds, but areas of territory surrounding a bed. Dwarves don't care if their bed is in the middle of a 10x10 room crammed full with beds, so long as it is their bed. They don't really like to share their space, but if each dwarf's 'bed territory' has at least three other beds in it, you're fine for room value. Shared rooms are worth 25% of their proper value, but furniture in a room contributes towards its value even if it's owned by someone else.

*ie. an enclosed area with some method of access.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2015, 07:48:45 pm »

I usually just end up doing a 1x4 bedroom with a connected hallway, enough room for a bed, cabinet and chest. Less clothing all over the place blinking and annoying me.
I just had a "lord consort" visit and decide to stay. Preparing for Trojan war reenactment.
Protip: statues cannot be made out of wood unless they're artifacts. If you see what appears to be a wooden statue outside your fort and it's not an artifact, destroy it immediately.