Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: The Essence of Dwarfiness  (Read 2841 times)

DrunkGamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Beer loving Gentledwarf
    • View Profile
Re: The Essence of Dwarfiness
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2015, 02:58:54 pm »

1)Plump helmet-based diet
2)More booze than food
3)Gigantic plump helmet farms
4)Shitload of stills for making plump helmet booze
5)Exporting plump-helmet based food and booze
6)"Accidentally" setting the above ground area of your fort in fire and destroying every single tree left
7)"Accidentally" hitting the circus
8)Needless amounts of modding to add absolutely stupid things into the game for shit and giggles
9)Torture of prisoners in awfully amusing ways
10)Spartan society

Torrenal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2015, 08:40:26 pm »

What does being "dwarfy" mean to you? What is the most dwarfy thing you have ever done or seen happen in your fortress?

I think Tolkien did a fair job of defining dwarfy.  I'll look at things happening in my fort, and if I can see dwarves from Tolkiens world doing the same things, I consider them to be dwarfy.

This includes
* where I recently had dwarves climbing out of my battlements in order to do melee combat with goblins.  This included scaling 2z down from the battelments roof and rounding a corner, instead of pathing down the stairs for a not nearly as direct approach.
* Where my dwarf politely asked the 'invading' necromancer to step aside so he could loot a corpse for military gear.  The necromancer was happy to oblige, but the dwarf was quite prepared to force the necromancer off the corpse if it came down to a fight.
* Where my dwarves constructed a huge cistern above the fortress to bathe all visitors in a spray of mist, and drown visiting sieges (which presented problems since it would also flood the battlements).
* Carrying improvised weapons into battle (I do recall one of Tolkein's dwarves used a log as a shield).

//Torrenal

Henry47

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2015, 05:54:05 am »

Personally i think Dwarfiness is about two things. Firstly the ability of so many of your fortresses citizens to keep on living despite all the terrible events happening around them, as well as the ability of so many more to do such mind-bogglingly stupid things in the course of their day to day existence.

In addition, i also see dwarfiness as being about the sheer determination to create a vast engineering project for some need, no matter how trivial its purpose. In my fortress i have caved in masses of walls and built vast drains to drain a carven lake to mine the top of an admantine vein, i lost several pump operators in a failed attempt to drain a river to retrieve a corpse, an endeavor which ended up producing several corpses just for the purpose of avoiding having to make a memorial.  These sorts of overly complicated exercises is what i consider dwarfiness. 

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2015, 11:42:36 am »

I'm one of the boring but practical people. The only dwarfy thing I've done was set up a drop-pit and use it to injure some of my own people so the hospital staff could gain practice.

And then I found out I didn't even need to for two reasons: 1.) Malpractice is not a thing (or at least wasn't in that fort) and 2.) I am fully capable of accidentally making people get hurt just by having a justice system with a functioning hammerer and getting surprise export bans after the trading's already been done but before the caravan actually leaves.

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrelated to DukePorkins
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2015, 11:47:17 am »

I think Dwarfiness also is the stubborness that whatever idea you had for like 5 seconds, no matter how insane or suicidal, is the best idea ever.  ;)
Īlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

ond_magiker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2015, 05:40:46 pm »

Dwarfiness is discussing topics like "should mothers in the military use their babies as shields?" in a calm, rational manner.

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2015, 06:27:50 am »

Minecarts.

Wheeljack

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes explosions for their BOOM
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2015, 11:56:02 am »

Dwarfiness for me has always been about doing things in creative, sometimes not practical at all ways. (At least not practical to silly man or elves.) The more levers involved, the better. :3 Dwarfy is charging into glorious battle against the goblins and driving them off without losing a single dwarf. Dwarfy is carving a mountain home out of the ground that is worthy of Armok himself. masterworks furniture for everyone. Every booze known to the universe, and so much food that everyone gets their favorite things. Dwarfy is several z-high forge rooms with giant pillars pumping every metal known to dwarf kind out to be encrusted with the finest cut gems.

Dwarfy to me is tolerating your crazy noble cousin that wants a lead bed Right Now and may have you thrown in prison in a fit of insanity when you tell him it's impossible (and highly uncomfortable to boot). Dwarfy is embracing that dabbling cheese maker and letting her become The Legendary Cheesemaker that she's always wanted to be (And then later watching her route a goblin siege via cheese wheel to the greenskin leader's head).

Liike some other folks have said, I don't personally prescribe to needless violence and sadism as being Dwarfy. That's being gobliny. Nothing wrong with anyone playing that way, of course. It is just a game, but this is my own definition of Dwarfy. :3

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2015, 09:24:02 pm »

I can't tell you what dwarfiness is, but I know it when I see it. A legendary warrior killed by his own reanimated hand? Dwarfy. Letting loose HFS to fight necromancers as a final fuck you? Dwarfy. Managing to save two dwarves from destruction and using them to rebuild the fort? Dwarfy. Killing 50+ demons with a single cave-in trap? Extremely dwarfy.

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:MAKE_MEGA CONSTRUCTION:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2015, 03:48:51 am »

Dwarven beard extract aka Dwarf perfume.

Oh wait, wrong definition of essence.

In my opinion, its taking basic solutions to mundane problems that dwarfs encounter and dialing the extremeness of said solution up to 11 and beyond.

Need crafts to trade? Kill off an entire species for their valuable bones!
Need to get rid of pesky elephants? Flood the entire surface with magma!
Need to contain an outbreak in the circus? Collapse the entire map in upon itself!

You know, whichever is the most sensible thing to do, don't do that.

Pseudo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2015, 09:20:24 am »

Pretty much.

Effectively, overdoing things. Taking them to their logical conclusion, and then up to 11.
The lady the dog the paper the boy writ hit bit knit.

English is weird.
Pages: 1 [2]