Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Goblins don't drink, implications for sparring  (Read 1709 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Goblins don't drink, implications for sparring
« on: January 02, 2016, 07:54:42 pm »

Okay. So there's this bug where drunk dwarves are too cautious to spar.

I've found part of a solution, provided your fort has access to goblin mercenaries.

Why? Apparently, goblin mercenaries never drink booze. None of my 10 goblin mercs has ever touched booze. Don't know if that's intentional, or a bug.

And they do spar. Once they get some individual training session done, and gained some skills, they will start sparring. And it will yield sparring reports in your alerts, so they're not just standing there.

They will spar with your dwarves too. Your dwarves will still be too cautious to attack, but at least they'll gain skills in dodging, shield, armor and / or weapon (parrying)

Be careful with taverns though. Goblins getting served drinks by barkeepers seem to have a very high mortality rate. Best not have any booze and mugs in your taverns, and no tavern keepers at all, until that bug with mugs being worn is fixed.

I'm not sure if they actually drink the booze served by tavern keepers though. Considering worn mugs are still holding the booze, and the fact that I've had no mystery deaths ever since I stopped using tavern keepers, it does look like it's not the alcohol, but the tavern keepers' bugged action of decorating the dwarf with a mug that's causing the mystery tavern deaths.

The problem with the goblins not drinking would be that over time, your goblins will be more and more distracted by lack of alcohol. It does not seem to be very severe. My oldest merc (been in my fort for nearly 3 years now) has a "distracted by being kept from alcohol". It's not red yet. By giving them enough downtime for other needs, it should not be problematic.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Cyroth

• Bay Watcher
  • [FABULOUS]
    • View Profile
Re: Goblins don't drink, implications for sparring
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2016, 09:43:02 pm »

I think goblins still have [NO_DRINK] and [NO_EAT], so them not drinking isn't a bug.
Interesting workaround to the sparring problem.
Demons are preferable to ravens.
A noble just suffered a genuine unfortunate accident.
Has that ever happened before?

NedeN

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2016, 01:27:55 am »

So dwarves are too cautious to spar, but the same alcohol will make them charge a giant cave croc or a GCS? How does any of this make sense?
I watched a zombie dwarf tear off a girls dress and hit her with it so hard it became lodged in her skull.

Ghoulz - 15 minutes could save you 15% or more on carp insurance.

EBannion

• Bay Watcher
  • Visit my Blog, www.elleshaped.com
    • View Profile
    • ElleShaped
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2016, 02:43:37 am »

So dwarves are too cautious to spar, but the same alcohol will make them charge a giant cave croc or a GCS? How does any of this make sense?

Because they're not sparring because they're supposed to be 100% uncautious but the bug makes them 100% cautious so they never attack.

Attacking the animal isn't stopped by cautiousness but by fear, and alcohol also makes them fearless, with no similar bug flipping them to cowardly.

They don't evaluate caution when attacking something they feel vengeful towards, like the croc that attacked their friend, only if they're too afraid to attack it.

Caution is for considered actions, like during non-rage-induced combat or sparring.
Torturing Dwarves to death since 2007

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2016, 05:00:20 am »

They might not eat or drink but they still get unhappy thoughts about lack of food or alcohol. One of those things for a future release again, I guess.

I have no trouble getting anyone to spar, after they gain sufficient skill levels by individual training. Dobby the House Goblin and her companions are already masters of their respective weapons.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

Zeebie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2016, 09:56:16 am »

I have noticed that my goblin mercenaries gain experience  much more quickly than my dwarfs, so this would be a likely explanation. 

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2016, 06:06:46 pm »

Works like a charm. After 5 years we finally got goblin mercenary and they are sparring again!
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)