Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: retire fortress option in esc menu annoying  (Read 997 times)

bmxbumpkin

• Bay Watcher
  • How did I pass? She beat me like I owed her money.
    • View Profile
retire fortress option in esc menu annoying
« on: October 31, 2015, 12:35:28 am »

ok ok..... this shouldn't be an issue.  A few times now in a rush to leave the house/shut down my pc I have gone into the esc menu and hit the "retire the fortress (for the time being)" option.  "Save Game" is just kinda a weird thing too myself to say.  And compounding on that it's near the top of the menu while I am user to games using the bottom of the menu to indicate, "Save & Quit" I guess.

Just griping probably.

Just ended a fort sadly after deciding it might be interesting to start a fort near a evil tower.  :(   Bad idea, just after finding some iron and flux, and had 3 pretty decent axedwarves.  In pops a necromancer and about 10 skele's and 5 undead.  Sent my pathetic well armored military out to greet them to give my civ's some more time.  Yeah, that didn't work.

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: retire fortress option in esc menu annoying
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2015, 09:08:10 am »

Is this the right forum for this?

bmxbumpkin

• Bay Watcher
  • How did I pass? She beat me like I owed her money.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2015, 11:52:03 am »

Sorry was unclear where to post, but I am making the suggestion of making it a bit more clear in the menu that save quits the game also or maybe changing its location.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2015, 05:35:20 pm »

I wouldn't mind having the menu rearranged slightly. As it stands, both 'save' and 'retire' are one key press away from the default 'continue'. It doesn't seem to matter that one is up and the other is down, only that it's one button away.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Nibblewerfer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2015, 06:02:24 pm »

Would an "are you sure you want to retire" popup fix this, I haven't played in a while so I don't know if one already exists.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2015, 06:52:31 pm »

In fortress mode, the "retire" option is two key presses away from "return to game" ("abandon the fortress" is at the bottom of the menu).
Also, there is a confirmation for retiring (and abandoning), and it's difficult to accidentally accept:
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.