Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Strange war events with a custom civilization  (Read 718 times)

Mythos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Strange war events with a custom civilization
« on: October 29, 2015, 04:46:47 pm »

I've started dabbling in modding and I made a custom orc civilization. I started digging through legends to find information on how they did in world gen, and I found something baffling. They lose every single siege I see them involved in. For some reason when they're on the defending side they always have less than 5 people, and whenever they're attacking they have plenty of people and the casualties are radically lopsided(the most extreme I saw was 9 losses to 434) in favor of the orcs yet it says the defenders won. I don't really know why either of those outcomes are happening. Does anyone know what might be happening here?
So, I tediously awaited the arrival of the dwarven caravan (I'm set up on a island, see)... And, they came. My fingers tingled, my nose twitched and my toes tickled... they came around the corner, over my bridge... Into my courtyard... Onto my trade depot...

Then everything near it exploded in a cloud of blood.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
Re: Strange war events with a custom civilization
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2015, 05:30:23 pm »

I'm not familiar with .40 world activation, so I can't speak on the low defense numbers.

The other half, though -- Casualty numbers don't hold a direct correlation to victory on a battle level, as in real war.
If you're defending and you hold your ground, you were victorious, even if you lost more men.
I had an elf vs goblin battle in a vanilla world that was 800 elves attacking 4500 goblins. The goblins lost 4100 and the elves only 400. The goblins were victorious.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Mythos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2015, 05:33:01 pm »

I'm not familiar with .40 world activation, so I can't speak on the low defense numbers.

The other half, though -- Casualty numbers don't hold a direct correlation to victory on a battle level, as in real war.
If you're defending and you hold your ground, you were victorious, even if you lost more men.
I had an elf vs goblin battle in a vanilla world that was 800 elves attacking 4500 goblins. The goblins lost 4100 and the elves only 400. The goblins were victorious.
This still seems like it has to be unintended behavior, though. Yes, it only matters that they held their ground, but how could they have possibly held their ground? Why did the orcs stop? They had only lost 9 men out of a sizeable force and had killed almost every defender, then they just decided to turn around and go home?
So, I tediously awaited the arrival of the dwarven caravan (I'm set up on a island, see)... And, they came. My fingers tingled, my nose twitched and my toes tickled... they came around the corner, over my bridge... Into my courtyard... Onto my trade depot...

Then everything near it exploded in a cloud of blood.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2015, 06:35:10 pm »

This still seems like it has to be unintended behavior, though. Yes, it only matters that they held their ground, but how could they have possibly held their ground? Why did the orcs stop? They had only lost 9 men out of a sizeable force and had killed almost every defender, then they just decided to turn around and go home?
This kind of thing isn't new to my understanding. It's always been kind of ridiculous, but not new or specific to custom civilizations. I've seen it with humans in 0.34.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia