Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Thoughts on renewable forms of metal/stone?  (Read 741 times)

CulixCupric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Thoughts on renewable forms of metal/stone?
« on: October 16, 2015, 08:54:59 pm »

What are your thoughts on making renewable version of nonrenewable resources?

Related, Aeternite/Aeternite Carbide/Aeternium, my ferrous carbide super pseudo-metal.

I named it such because aeternum is latin for eternity.

through custom workshops:
clay + charcoal = graphite
graphite + aeternium bars = aeternite carbide, a non-naturally occuring ore that smelts into aeternium bars.

aeternite is extremely rare to find, however it can be pieced together from less rare, but still rare, component ores from two reaction groups, chromatic ores, and essence stone.

I also made quartzite renewable, and sandstone, and claystone. quartzite is made of sandstone, which, according to DFwiki and Wikipedia, is how it forms naturally.
I also made it so graphite can be turned into refined coal, because graphite actually burns really well IRL, and would make great fuel.
ores/metals material raw
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

reactions
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

What renewable resources have you made and what are your views on them? when are they too overpowered?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 09:16:26 pm by CulixCupric »
Don't know what to put here... let me know if you have any ideas...

Bogus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Thoughts on renewable forms of metal/stone?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2015, 05:42:57 am »

i made a renewable fuel based on a plant from the 3rd cavern. in order to make it non-overpowered i made the reaction take a couple of other items, but in the end it was too complicated of a process to be useful (this was with 34. still when trees would just give one log).

so the basic idea is that as long as your renewable thing isnt strictly better and/or easier to make than the non renewable stuff it cant be overpowered right?

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: Thoughts on renewable forms of metal/stone?
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2015, 10:01:14 am »

Two important things to consider when making totally custom stuff:

1) Does it make ANY sense, even if you call it Magic? If it does, then it's okay.
2) Does it make any sense to USE it, rather than ignore it and go the old vanilla way? If it does, then make it in.

There should be no fear to make something "overpowered". The "artifact" modifier alone in the game is so overpowered, you cannot balance it with anything else.
The most important thing to consider when adding new reactions is: will the player get a nice experience using them? Don't make it too complex, or most of people will just ignore it.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository