Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: DF 0.40.24: Haulers won't move stone to stockpile  (Read 1961 times)

Crandal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
DF 0.40.24: Haulers won't move stone to stockpile
« on: September 29, 2015, 03:45:08 pm »

I'm very reliant on seperating my non-economic stone from my economic stone, so I can create steel.  However, recently my fortress has ground to a halt because my dwarves have suddenly stopped bringing any stone to the stockpile I use for my mason workshops except for occasionally one stone via wheelbarrow.  There is plenty of stone for them to bring, all non-economic, all accessible.  My miners go down there all the time and dig out more.  I have 70 idle dwarves, how do I get them to get their asses in gear again?  I've even removed the stockpile and re-added it.  I'm using Dwarf Therapist 31.0.0, and no other utility.  Please help.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 05:29:55 pm by Crandal »

Goatmaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 0.40.24: Haulers won't move stone to stockpile
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2015, 07:31:19 pm »

If you're stockpile is small (less than 10*10) AND you have idlers,  I'd suggest not using wheelbarrows! (You can reset settings later)

70 idlers WILL fill a 10*10 way faster than 3 dwarfs with wheelbarrows.

I'm paving a 6*6 map with granite, trust me.

Goatmaan
My !!XXcpuXX!! *HATES* me.

Crandal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2015, 08:26:57 pm »

So you either use wheelbarrows or normal dwarves, but not both?

Goatmaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2015, 09:01:02 pm »

Right, you can use up to 3 wheelbarrows per stockpile, or if wheelbarrows are set to 0, any idle dwarf with stone hauling will go get a stone...100 idlers zero wheelbarrows =100 stones hauled 0 idlers left. 100 idlers 3 wheelbarrows =3 stones hauled, 97 idlers left.

Goatmaan
My !!XXcpuXX!! *HATES* me.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2015, 01:26:41 am »

A DFHack plugin allows the number of wheelbarrows to be set higher than 3. There are two reasons to use wheelbarrows:
- The hauler will move faster with a wheelbarrow than if carrying the stone.
- Wheelbarrows limit the number of haulers involved in this potentially fairly lengthy task, thus reducing the risk of starving other hauling tasks of manpower (not the current problem, but you can easily get there with "unrestricted" hauling).

kingsableye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2015, 03:37:20 pm »

So to simplify, in the current version the number of wheelbarrows assigned to a stockpile is the number of tasks that stockpile can create, where 0 wheelbarrows means it can create "infinite" tasks but no wheelbarrows will be used to move the items (stones in this case).
And, as PatrikLundell mentioned, DFHack lets you set the wheelbarrow number higher so you can still limit the number of tasks per stockpile, but use wheelbarrows for the tasks.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2015, 05:20:29 pm »

Well, no wheelbarrows means the limit is the number of free tiles in the stockpile.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2015, 01:54:29 am »

Set the stockpile's wheelbarrows to 0 and create separate feeder stockpile(s) with wheelbarrows. Dwarves can still haul from the original when set to take from anywhere, else you can limit it to just the wheelbarrows.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?