Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: How to fix Dwarfs Training... ;)  (Read 3068 times)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to fix Dwarfs Training... ;)
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2015, 05:30:49 am »

you know... I've never had any problems getting melee or marksdwarves to train, like ever. For the marksdwarves, are you assigning them a barracks?
when you say you've had no problems.. did you have an archery range?  I wouldn't exactly describe it as problematic its just completely inconsistent whether they will use it for archery training or just spar/individual combat drill all day
Archers need both a barracks AND individual targets designated  to train. I always build the barracks to overlap the targets, but that may not be necessary. Apart from this make sure not to allow bins in ammo stockpiles.
The thing is, they're a military squad, not a bunch of robot archers. It's perfectly normal for them to spend some days learning how to dodge, how to bite and listening to lectures on the use of a crossbow. They do use the archery ranges too if you have them set up properly.

And they shouldn't be sparring at all unless you've given them melee weapons for some reason.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2015, 08:52:14 am »

And they shouldn't be sparring at all unless you've given them melee weapons for some reason.
But crossbows are melee weapons. Didn't you know?
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2015, 04:52:29 pm »

But crossbows are melee weapons. Didn't you know?
Ha ha. Yeah the Dwarves certainly seem to think so in the heat of combat. I've never actually seen a training squad belting each other with the things though (although they probably should do so some of the time, might increase their life expectancy on the field...).

I reward crossbowmen who reach legendary with a sword to liven up their training time.

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2015, 06:07:30 am »

The training definitely needs fixing, especially lessons with several dwarves. They also don't spar enough.

As for the marksdwarves, you can get them to train pretty consistently but that silliness with the wood and bone bolts needs to be fixed.

And in general, the way they go about getting their armour and weapons on can be very frustrating.

I was wondering how you guys do live training. It used to be so easy to take a goblin's weapon and throw it in a pit but now because of them escaping every once in a while, how do you do it? Do you always build the cage and link it to a lever?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2015, 06:28:32 am »

The training definitely needs fixing, especially lessons with several dwarves. They also don't spar enough.

As for the marksdwarves, you can get them to train pretty consistently but that silliness with the wood and bone bolts needs to be fixed.

And in general, the way they go about getting their armour and weapons on can be very frustrating.

I was wondering how you guys do live training. It used to be so easy to take a goblin's weapon and throw it in a pit but now because of them escaping every once in a while, how do you do it? Do you always build the cage and link it to a lever?
Training bolts vs combat bolts seems to be a genuine issue for Marksdwarves. Although I've haven't really experimented much with it. It seems to me that the squad would take far too long faffing about looking for the right bolts when a surprise attack was launched. Better a hail of wood than nothing at all.

As for sparring, how often do you want them to spar? For a vanilla, unmodded game it can take up to 5 years for goblins to turn up. I never rush into building squads but even so, most of what I do scrap together are close to legendary status by the time anything worth fighting shows up. When they're not sparring they're still building skills by either drilling (discipline, stops them freaking out when goblins arrive), dodging (good for when goblins try to hit them), biting (great for shaking elephants about by the head) or "combat training" which is...probably good for something!

I think it would be nice to see them move about a bit during their other training though, it's kind of boring to watch them all just standing there. Hopefully that's easily fixed now that complex dance moves are in.

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2015, 06:51:01 am »

Running to get gear and proper bolts is pretty basic military stuff. Ideally, there would be quivers full of metal bolts somewhere ready to wear and plenty of bolt supplies near the front lines.

The too easy to reach legendary status is true for most of DF anyway. A dwarf becomes legendary - the stuff of legend - after a few years working on a specific craft. It'd be more interesting and realistic if you had to train your dwarves well for them to be competent in battle but for legendary status to only be achieved after a lot of fighting, close brushes with death and experience with several different types of enemy.
Pages: 1 [2]