Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cavern Grass  (Read 598 times)

someone12345

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Cavern Grass
« on: September 27, 2015, 11:26:53 am »

In this fort, my main production area is in a soil layer, and the cavern grass is growing everywhere. What can I do, besides pave the whole place with roads to get rid of it?
GENERATION 26:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
Re: Cavern Grass
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2015, 11:39:29 am »

Is there a particular reason you want to get rid of it? Grazers can consume cavern grass to stay alive, so that means they can be kept more deeper in your fort.
That said, if you still don't want it, the best thing you could do is move your production area down several levels and use the soil layer for grazers. It'd probably be nicer to have your forges built on some nice firm stone than on soil, yeah?

Raven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2015, 01:32:07 pm »

why everyone hates moss? It's so soft, wet and juicy to touch... *.*
http://dwarffortressitalia.tumblr.com/

Italian blog about Dwarf Fortress

Il primo blog italiano su Dwarf Fortress

GiantCaveMushroom

• Bay Watcher
  • Born Pessimist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2015, 07:30:08 am »

why everyone hates moss? It's so soft, wet and juicy to touch... *.*

It's too colorful and messy, some people (like me) want to have a monotone looking +fortress floor+ since it's easier on the eye.

To the OP, it's impossible to completely get rid of cave moss on 'subterranean' soil tiles once the cavern is breached unless you make that tile an 'outside' tile (which makes grass grow instead!) or if you pave it.

Delioth

• Bay Watcher
  • Mass Gauntlet Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2015, 11:41:48 am »

Burn it. May require re-burning every few seasons.
Help us write a story!
We're currently setting the scene and world- characters, civilizations, flora/fauna, cities, places, anything setting!
Products of my Boredom (Old)
Quote from: Shawtay
Delioth, you sir, are a wonderful, wonderful person.
When in doubt, Apply Magma

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2015, 12:48:39 pm »

Burning has a rather temporary effect, so it wouldn't be worth it. Paving with roads, floors, channeling away the top layer,... would work. If you find it easier on the eyes covering the ground with stockpiles accepting nothing causes the background to become uniform (and it works to keep saplings from maturing, thus curbing the otherwise inevitable treesplosion).

Note that paving/flooring will require careful material selection if you don't want to replace one set of colorful patterns with another, though.

PyroTechno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2015, 04:51:00 pm »

If you have DFHack, you can use "feature" to hide the cavern layer.

Here's the readme for more information.