Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarves not cleaning up blood and body parts of deceased dwarf  (Read 2307 times)

Mike_B20

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarves not cleaning up blood and body parts of deceased dwarf
« on: September 29, 2015, 11:36:20 pm »

One of my dwarves went insane and he was killed by a militia dwarf.
There was some blood and several missing teeth scattered about the work station.
I set up a stockpile for corpses at a remote level and put a coffin nearby and assigned it to the dead dwarf.
Soon, the other dwarves arrived with the corpse and several missing teeth and the bits and pieces were placed in the coffin.

Later I noticed some blood and one missing tooth were still near the dead dwarf's work station.
Now all my dwarves are horrified and stop whatever they are doing when they see the mess there.
It's traumatizing the entire settlement as it is in a central location.
I've tried various things to get the teeth moved to no avail.
Why wasn't this cleaned up?

GiantCaveMushroom

• Bay Watcher
  • Born Pessimist
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves not cleaning up blood and body parts of deceased dwarf
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2015, 05:54:23 am »

I'm not sure why the dwarves haven't buried the last teeth yet but I think the corpse stockpile don't accept body parts (including teeth); Refuse stockpiles do. (I might be wrong though)

As for the blood, the 'cleaning' labor is rather buggy and dwarves may never clean blood and vomit no matter what.  If you want to get rid of the blood, I suggest constructing a floor (b)(C)(f) over it then deconstructing said floor afterwards.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2015, 07:41:10 am »

The last tooth SHOULD have been buried as well, regardless of stockpile settings (I won't see if the pieces go into different stockpiles, since I combine dorfs with other sapients in one pile and everything else in another).
I'd start with checking that the tooth isn't 'f'orbidden. If it isn't try to 'd'ump it somewhere out of the way.

Mike_B20

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2015, 10:58:38 am »

Ah, deconstructing the workshop, setting up a dump a good distance away outside and designating the teeth to be dumped did the trick.
They even dumped the blood splatter there as well.
Worked on a few other unwanted animal corpses scattered about as well.
Good trick to know, thanks.

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2015, 11:11:18 am »

It's a good idea to have a permanent solution to sentient body parts.  A little Horror! is good for your dwarves (builds Discipline) but too much is not, and they can be Horrified! by that same tooth an infinite number of times.  If you don't have ready access to magma, atom smashing (lowering a drawbridge onto a dump zone containing the unwanted items) instantly removes the items permanently from the game.

Being able to clean up junk from around your fortress also helps with FPS, I find, and you can delete almost anything by atom smashing it.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2015, 12:40:42 pm »

Nowadays I build a sapient refuse Quantum Stockpile where the target stockpile is down a hole, but with a staircase beside it (needed anyway, to get the miner out). That way I can get the bits out of the way of the masses, but still indulge in the twisted delight of producing ¤Elf Bone Greaves¤ (and sell -Elf Bone Greaves- to the tree huggers).
Dumping works as well, of course, but I tend to reserve dumping for getting stuff out of the way (mine cart tracks, well, etc) and to confiscate xsockx, as well as for prisoner stripping (those are pitted into magma afterwards, but the ones that try to flee get clobbered and hauled to the sapient refuse stockpile).