Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What makes vampires hated?  (Read 1093 times)

Skribbblie

• Bay Watcher
  • Dlaglunkis slugutalbis!
    • View Profile
What makes vampires hated?
« on: September 07, 2015, 09:50:14 pm »

I've been trying to create two additional castes (one male, one female) of every civilization-building race, which are vampires upon birth. However, I have run into the problem that they aren't... hated. And furthermore, they don't seem to suck blood/murder anyone during worldgen.

Additionally, if I confront them about being a night creature, they claim they have killed many fearsome opponents(!), but do not initiate a fight over it. Nor do any of the witnesses nearby.

So what makes vampires hated? The bloodsucking? The murders? The existence of the major curse itself?
I'm not really sure that maiming someone and forcing them to live with a crippling disability for your amusement can really be considered "merciful." Just sayin'.
Dwarven mercy.

Halnoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Plan for the Worst. Hope for the Best. Have Fun!
    • View Profile
Re: What makes vampires hated?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2015, 03:22:36 am »

I think its the curse itself. In a somewhat recent dev post by toady he said the dwarves that toppled statues in his test temple that were cursed with vampirism were instantly enemies of the fort. If it were the blood sucking or murders then this shouldn't be so.
One of the dwarfs walked in front of Thor to get a better view of the prye, and Thor kicked him irritably into the middle of the flames, which made Thor feel slightly better and made all the dwarfs feel much worse.

Cloth Armor Mod http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=158967.msg7063531#msg7063531

CulixCupric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2015, 02:02:48 pm »

it IS the curse, however i think it's more specifically the [BLOODSUCKER] Caste creature token attached to them by the curse... to quote the wiki "Seems to be required to make the creature denouncable as a creature of the night."

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Creature_token#BLOODSUCKER
Don't know what to put here... let me know if you have any ideas...

Skribbblie

• Bay Watcher
  • Dlaglunkis slugutalbis!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2015, 01:21:08 pm »

it IS the curse, however i think it's more specifically the [BLOODSUCKER] Caste creature token attached to them by the curse... to quote the wiki "Seems to be required to make the creature denouncable as a creature of the night."

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Creature_token#BLOODSUCKER
Ah, but it's the curse that makes them hated during worldgen, at least. If you assign [BLOODSUCKER] to a caste, they won't bother sucking blood for the ENTIRETY of worldgen, and will be completely un-hated. Furthermore, if you confront them as night creatures, they don't attack. And if you kill them, it's just murder.
I'm not really sure that maiming someone and forcing them to live with a crippling disability for your amusement can really be considered "merciful." Just sayin'.
Dwarven mercy.