Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Werebear corpse rotting away in bone stockpile?  (Read 871 times)

soulsource

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Werebear corpse rotting away in bone stockpile?
« on: September 17, 2015, 05:55:18 am »

Yesterday my fort was attacked by a werebear. It was a horribly one-sided, but nonetheless epic battle, and the result was a beautiful leg-, tail-, gut.-, and headless night creature corpse.
Now the strange thing is: I have a sentients stockpile right next to a deep, deep hole where bodies are being disposed off if they get too many. I also have a stockpile for animal corpses and body parts, which mainly serves as input for the butcher's shops. And last, but not least, I have a stockpile for usable, non-edible refuse, meaning hair, bone, skulls and horn. Now from those three stockpiles, the dwarfs decided that a rotting, miasma-spilling shapeshifted treehugger corpse is best placed in the stockpile for bones. I'm now wondering if anyone has seen similar behavior, and if there's a way to prevent dwarfs from doing this.

(For me the solution is obvious: As I have a deep, deep hole to dispose of bodies nobody needs any more, I'll have this one dumped there as well, but I'd still prefer not to have anything causing miasma or thoughts of horror in my bone supply pile...)
Quote from: Porkins Windu
Really, DF and Metal are practically the same. Drunkenness, Death, Depression, Depravity, Despondence, Demons, Dementia, Darkness. And thats just the D's!

Astrid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a text.
    • View Profile
Re: Werebear corpse rotting away in bone stockpile?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2015, 06:22:11 am »

Hmm...did cha' accidentally activated one of the stockpiles settings which better should have left offline?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2015, 08:31:24 am »

Well, FBs and other procedurally generated creatures are not addressable by the normal refuse stockpile settings, which means they are eligible for any refuse stockpile on which you have not selected block all and then enabled what you want. Now, I don't know if your werebeast is considered an elf (and so would go into elf refuse/corpse+elf refuse/body parts) or a procedurally generated invisible were category eligible for any non blocked refuse stockpile.
Also note that FBs and Titans are not considered sentient, and thus are butcherable and usable (given they're made out of flesh), although there is a spoiler case of sentients that go into this category as well and mess up things by scaring your dorfs.
If it's only weres and spoilers that end up in the wrong place I think it's possible to live with.

I'd also double check that the stockpile settings are as intended.

soulsource

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2015, 02:33:46 am »

Thanks, I'm pretty sure that the stockpile settings are correct. Probably the body is really counted as a procedurally generated creature. I haven't disabled any creature types on the bone/hair/horn stockpile, just corpses and body parts except for those mentioned. The only stockpile that basically allows all refuse except for the aforementioned body parts, and except for anything sentient likely to show up on my map, is the one I use for butcherable stuff.
Maybe the shapeshifted form of a humanoid doesn't even count as a corpse/body part?
Quote from: Porkins Windu
Really, DF and Metal are practically the same. Drunkenness, Death, Depression, Depravity, Despondence, Demons, Dementia, Darkness. And thats just the D's!

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2015, 03:16:43 am »

If it's any consolation, I'm suffering problems with my feeder refuse stockpile getting cluttered with FB part that aren't hauled to the regular refuse QS mine cart as they should, and I've had problems with FBs cluttering my feeder refuse stockpiles in the past. I might have misunderstood how procedurally generated refuse is handled, or mine cart stockpile settings might work differently from regular stockpiles, 'cause I believe I've had FB parts properly dumped in the past, only to fail to work later.

escondida

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2015, 07:37:42 am »

A long term solution could be to make the entrance to any and all refuse stockpiles be through a diagonal-only path. Miasma can only spread orthagonally, so if the only way in is diagonally, the miasma won't spread beyond that room. Refuse stockpiles can be a bit wonky, as you've noticed, so this probably won't be the last time something like this happens.

Also, dorfs will happily eat sentient (feeling) creatures; it's sapient (thinking) beings they object to devouring, and FBs and titans (whether organic or inorganic) don't ever fall into the latter category. Whether they feel anything other than blind hatred for the new world that sprung up around them is up for debate. (-: