Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mangled bones question  (Read 2206 times)

0ink3r

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Mangled bones question
« on: September 29, 2015, 03:51:53 pm »

On my bone stockpile i have an assortment of bone types (mangled bones, rear foot bones, upper leg bones, wing bones etc...)

Can someone tell me if these bones are all seen as standard (carvable) bones by a bone carver, and as such are worth keeping for things such as the manufacture of armor and bolts, or are they just useless unusable clutter ?

Alfrodo

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_STUPID]
    • View Profile
Re: Mangled bones question
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2015, 10:12:51 pm »

I've made Elf bone helmets out of exploded undead elf bits.  I'm also pretty sure they'll use mangled skulls and bones.
Bins stacked full of mangoes were laid out in rows. On further inspection of the market, Cog came to the realization that everything was mangoes.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2015, 01:33:19 am »

Only lose bones are used by bone carvers. Severed limbs decay into carveable bones over time, but I think mangled (and unmangled) skeletons have to be butchered to get the bones out (a task that's generated automatically if auto butcher is left on). Since dwarven ethics forbid the butchering of sapient creatures, elf and goblin (etc) bone equipment has to be made out of "naturally" butchered bits (like severed arms and legs). I'm not sure if skulls are used for totems, but wouldn't rule that out. Note that dwarven bones aren't used even if available (I had "naturally" butchered bones from undead dwarven invaders).

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2015, 09:31:43 am »

All bones should work fine, even if they have "mangled" in the description.

I'm not sure about bones with a stack size of 1.  There was a bug in previous versions where they couldn't be used and I don't remember if that has been fixed or not.

Teeth generated from combat can't be used, I remember that much.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2015, 10:30:50 am »

I think there are actually two kinds of teeth: tusk like and human (and dwarf) like. The small kind doesn't go into the refuse/teeth category, but rather body parts, while the big ones go there as teeth, and I think the big ones can be used regardless of extraction method.

PyroTechno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2015, 05:26:35 pm »

The "Mangled" description just stops them from reanimating in evil biomes and/or the presence of necromancers. It has no other effect.