Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Disappearing werebeast?  (Read 865 times)

boddha

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALCOHOL_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
Disappearing werebeast?
« on: September 09, 2015, 02:50:08 pm »

My fort was chugging along nicely when...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
A werebeast shows up...

and decimates my military. Great, we're having fun. He runs into the farm plots and storage area, and I throw the drawbridge.
I figure I'd keep him locked in there until I have a good way to dispose of him. But now...

He's gone? He's not showing up on my unit list, and I can't find him anywhere else. There's no exits from that room. It's like he disappeared!

Anyone else have disappearing werebeasts?

Treah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Disappearing werebeast?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2015, 03:30:48 pm »

Well the werecreatures will transform back into their previous states. So maybe he turned back into a dwarf. Or are you saying that there is no creature in there at all?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2015, 03:32:20 pm »

I'd say you probably atom smashed it with the drawbridge, which will make it disappear!

boddha

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALCOHOL_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2015, 03:53:18 pm »

Well the werecreatures will transform back into their previous states. So maybe he turned back into a dwarf. Or are you saying that there is no creature in there at all?

There's some dwarves in there with him, but the log says he turned back into a human. There's no humans in my unit list. None of the dwarf names match up either.

I'd say you probably atom smashed it with the drawbridge, which will make it disappear!
The drawbridge draws inward, and he was a ways away from it when I drew it. If I smashed him, wouldn't he show up on the Deceased tab in the units list? I'll have to do some dwarf science and see.

I saw a lizard vermin in there for a bit but it disappeared too. Can werebeasts turn into vermin if they're a werebeast that is also vermin?

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2015, 06:56:42 pm »

Vucar Idenlerom killed the lizard and returned the remains to Mersethathel.
All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

Show undead posts since last visit.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2015, 07:36:26 pm »

They can stealth.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2015, 01:04:36 am »

As far as I understand, once stealthed creatures have been detected they remain visible.
Once a werebeast turns back into their native form they will try to flee the map. They are then also susceptible to the traps they waltzed over while in were form. Since the log said the bugger turned back, it probably did (and the only stealthy humans I've encountered have been necros). Have you checked the deceased unit list?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2015, 05:27:16 am »

If it's not possible for him to have climbed out, there's always the small chance he dodged through a wall/drawbridge.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

boddha

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALCOHOL_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2015, 10:41:58 am »

Have you checked the deceased unit list?
Yeah it's full of dead dwarves haha

If it's not possible for him to have climbed out, there's always the small chance he dodged through a wall/drawbridge.
Impossible! That room was airtight! Or so I thought.
Upon further investigation there was open space above the drawbridge. He jumped out and killed two more dwarves on his way. I didn't think they could jump that high.

Never again am I building a fort without at least two z-levels of ground above it. Just when I was thinking of the possibilities of a captive werebeast...
I might load the last save and give it another shot.
Thanks everyone for your help!

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2015, 10:49:52 am »

What Bumber said is that DF applies quantum physical tunneling on dodges, resulting in a small chance that a solid object is passed through without harm to either the object or the dodger. Well, actually it's a bug...