Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Caravans and soap  (Read 1203 times)

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • ミク ミク にしてあげる
    • View Profile
Caravans and soap
« on: September 09, 2015, 03:53:40 am »

Is there a way to make caravans bring soap?
It is like the only medical supply they dont bring.

Alfrodo

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_STUPID]
    • View Profile
Re: Caravans and soap
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2015, 08:55:57 pm »

Find a useless fisherdwarf, or mason with free time. assign soap making, butchery, wood burning and lye making. request logs from caravan. Buy domestic animal.
Slaughter animal, extract tallow.
Burn logs, make lye.
make soap.
Boom.  The caravan brought you soap. Indirectly.

Edit: I am very helpful.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 10:03:03 pm by Alfrodo »
Bins stacked full of mangoes were laid out in rows. On further inspection of the market, Cog came to the realization that everything was mangoes.

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2015, 12:44:48 am »

I would love to know what makes a caravan bring what it brings.  Why does it bring gremlin tears, but not the glass ammo I've modded into workshops?  I'd love to hax them into bringing soap. 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

MobRules

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2015, 01:38:28 am »

I was annoyed when I discovered that my "Brush Titan Tallow Soap" (which I hadn't planned on, it just appeared) wasn't worth any more than any other tallow soap.

And yes, I would also love to learn how to mod what the caravan does and doesn't bring.
Ninja dragons! Protect the masterwork roasts!
Is this biome reanimating? I really don't want to know what happens when "absurd numbers of megabeasts" is combined with "reanimating biomes".

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2015, 12:32:43 pm »

Try adding a reaction that produces bars of soap directly, that may work.

Currently all the reactions produce it indirectly, eg the material is not hardcoded in the reaction.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Ruludos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2015, 12:50:17 pm »

Disclaimer: I haven't actually tried this yet.

Give the civilization that you're trading with a new tool, something like "Box of Soap." Create a new workshop with a reaction that will turn the Box of Soap tool into actual soap for you to use.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2015, 03:07:21 pm »

Give the civilization that you're trading with a new tool, something like "Box of Soap." Create a new workshop with a reaction that will turn the Box of Soap tool into actual soap for you to use.
that works :)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • ミク ミク にしてあげる
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2015, 04:35:33 pm »

What material would the soap come out as? Regular soap has the name of the species the tallow came from.

Ruludos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2015, 04:55:59 pm »

For the default soap reaction it calls for the tallow material, but you could probably modify the reaction to call for the generic tallow material instead. It would probably show up as "tallow soap."

Alfrodo

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_STUPID]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2015, 05:01:49 pm »

that works :)
hmm... Might as well add that to my Modbox and the succession mod.
For the default soap reaction it calls for the tallow material, but you could probably modify the reaction to call for the generic tallow material instead. It would probably show up as "tallow soap."

If I can figure this out, I'll post it 'ere.
Bins stacked full of mangoes were laid out in rows. On further inspection of the market, Cog came to the realization that everything was mangoes.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2015, 05:16:06 pm »

If you need help, let me know. I got that very same reaction in my mod.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::