Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Multiracial fortress  (Read 1073 times)

Tlukle

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't you think my name is odd?
    • View Profile
Multiracial fortress
« on: September 01, 2015, 09:55:56 pm »

One improvement I think of great importance is multiple races in the fortress for the following reasons; one being that in many civilizations called "dwarven" are actually populated largely by goblins men or elves, second is the idea of prisoner labor, another is the possibility of hiring foreigners to do services, and finally possibly other people's immigrating to your fortress.
Alone on a hill I sat and thought oh what ever today might become not.

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Multiracial fortress
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2015, 10:06:48 pm »

This is coming next release. There won't be a whole lot of cool options, but you'll be able to have individuals join your fort as permanent members. And this'll set the groundwork for more stuff in the future™
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

Borge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2015, 10:59:01 pm »

Slavery is punishable by death in dwarven ethics.

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2015, 11:07:25 pm »

Toady even confirmed that you can play non-dwarf fortress! If you invite several non-Urists into your fort and then kill off all your Urists, the game will not end.  You'd be playing.. snake-man fortress! Beware their venonmous bites!

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2015, 11:11:06 pm »

He also hinted at the outrageous amounts of Fun to be had when the armed goblins staying at the inn realise their civ has just declared war on yours....

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2015, 11:32:31 pm »

So, since dwarves are no longer mandatory, will the game just be called "Fortress"?
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2015, 05:16:21 am »

So, since dwarves are no longer mandatory, will the game just be called "Fortress"?
Well, neither are fortresses at the moment...
Anyway names don't change just because the scope of the game alters - Just look at Crusader Kings II. In 20 years time when the game approaches it's final form, it's not going to change to 'Fantasy World Simulator (and Dwarves)'.