Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Galaxy Fall [SG] - Tactics: Space "Hulk"  (Read 5100 times)

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
Re: Galaxy Fall [SG] - Tactics: Space "Hulk"
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2015, 04:12:00 am »

I'd suggest getting them to traverse the exterior hull to where our best guess of the engine room is, break in there and then try and disable the engines.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2015, 04:14:09 am »

A few seconds after determining all this, Smith startles you when you look up from your terminal to see him staring at you. He looks straight at your eyes and says "Commander. We've only ever seen three of these ships, each in a similar orbit in different systems. Central Intelligence would greatly appreciate it if you could gather us as much data as possible before leaving. It'd be for the good of the entire war effort."

What happened to those systems?

Anyway, fire on-board a spaceship is dangerous. Shooting the fuel line should, if it explodes, trigger the safeties and drop the bulkheads(if there are any).

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2015, 02:13:26 pm »

I'd appreciate it if all actual actions were bolded, so I can tell whether you're just thinking of ideas/etc. or actually suggesting an action.

What happened to those systems?
"The systems they were detected in were all U.E.F. systems in their immediate warpath. The best we can guess is that it's some kind of advanced scout with a critical objective?"
Smith sighs and continues. "Really, we have no idea, but whatever it is, it seems to matter to their war effort."
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2015, 03:02:47 pm »

Ok, immediate plans:

Squad suppresses the Uarks, whilst two soldiers advance to the pillar. Once there, continue laying suppression whilst the closest soldier shoots the fuel line. If after several shots it does nothing, go back to shooting the Uarks.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2015, 05:13:45 pm »

I'm going to assume that's the plan then? Unless anything else is posted, I'll use it for the next update.
+1/-1s would really help me determine whether or not suggestions are supported by others.
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2015, 02:39:05 am »

The orders are transmitted to the marines and they spring to action.
As the corridor lights up with the familiar blasts of the battle rifles, two marines sprint across the smooth featureless tiles comprising the inner hull of the ship, arriving unharmed at the solitary pillar.
While the rest of the marines continue filling the air above the Uarks with energy, a squadmate aims his gun carefully at the fuel line and pulls the trigger.
*BOOM*
The feed from the marine at the pillar is interrupted with a flash of white and a resounding explosion.
"What happened to the feed?!"
"Try secondary channels!"
"Check for feed damage in sectors 3b through 7z!"
"Loop through all available channels with the original point of origin!"
"Have you tried compensating for hypertransmission feed damage in sector 5g?!"
Moments later, the monitor comes back to life with a slightly distorted and almost still image of Athen's sun. A peaceful image, really. Separated from the chaos behind it; simply uncaring.
Over the viewtable, a 3d window displaying a still line appears.
"Vitals appear to be flat. Is the suit intact?"
"Damaged, but intact!"
"Try remotely starting emergency medical procedures."
A couple seconds pass, then the vital signs of Tills begin resuming as normal.
"Tills is coming to!" someone yells.
The image of the sun slowly rotates around to bring the Uark ship back into view as it seemingly flies away from the camera. A gaping hole is present where the battle took place, but the rest of the ship seems intact. Floating bodies are scattered in the space around Tills as pieces of debris fly by.
Beside you, Smith looks at the image with a worried expression. Even with your experience, you know that a fuel line shouldn't have caused that big of an explosion.

On the main monitor, the status of each suit transponder is overlaid on top of the feed. Every transponder but Tills' shows "N/A", meaning that the suit transponder is erroring. Without the transponders, you don't know if anyone else is alive.

Mission Status

Objective: Evacuate squad/Investigate ship.
6 out of 7 squad members unaccounted for.
Tills
-Damaged EVA Suit - Tills' suit is rather damaged, but the important parts are still present - thrusters seem to be intact, oxygen scrubbers are online, and there are no detected punctures anywhere.
-U.E.F. Battle Rifle – Tills' Battle Rifle was luckily holstered at the time of the explosion, and the magnetic attachment system is still operating just fine.
-1 Grenade
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 04:13:45 am by Chiefwaffles »

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2015, 03:58:30 am »

How long until a navy ship arrives, now that they aren't accelerating away? Also, get Till's to call for the rest of the squad on his radio.

spfifle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2015, 07:22:43 pm »

How long until a navy ship arrives, now that they aren't accelerating away? Also, get Till's to call for the rest of the squad on his radio.
+1.

How capable are we of firing on the ship at this range? If we order a missile launch now, how long till it hits, assuming it does? Also we should order some science/intelligence nerds to figure out what Tills' orbit looks like, based on his feed of the ship. The ship was moving and already in low solar orbit, so we should probably figure out quick if he needs to use that thruster-pack to avoid getting toasted. I don't have a lot of confidence in him getting back onboard though.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2015, 04:34:55 am »

Also, I assume our sensors are good enough to pick up roughly human-sized objects?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2015, 05:35:57 am »

Spectroscopy to identify the nature of the explosion?

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 08, 2015, 08:48:31 pm »

Spectroscopy to identify the nature of the explosion?
Don't really know enough about Spectroscopies to do it like you said. Wikipedia isn't really helping, so if you could clarify a bit further, that'd be great. Alternatively, I'll just assume you said "[Use some kind of method] to identify nature of explosion."

Also, I assume our sensors are good enough to pick up roughly human-sized objects?
Almost all close-range sensors aboard U.E.F. spacecraft have that ability, but the long range sensors currently being used by WarCom can't pick up things that small.
Once the navy assets are close enough to the ship, or if you grab sensor data from the ship, you'll be able to use the sensors to pick up much smaller objects.

How capable are we of firing on the ship at this range? If we order a missile launch now, how long till it hits, assuming it does?
To be clear, you have 3 assets converging on the ship right now:
2 U.E.F. Frigates and 1 U.E.F. Troop Transport. Barring any change to velocity, they should be within complete operational range within half an hour. (Forgot to mention that they were already on their way.)
But the "change to velocity" does not include the possibility that the ship slowed down or stopped after that explosion, so you'll likely get a more accurate number in the actual update.

Anyways, frigates aren't dedicated missile ships. The missiles loaded onto those ships don't have that much fuel and because they aren't designed for long-range combat, they would probably have a 60% chance of hitting their target in roughly 15 minutes if fired now at somewhere near (or at) the ship.
Alternatively, you could look into sending a missile ship or maybe even utilize some kind of stationary missile array.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Galaxy Fall [SG] - Tactics: Space Hulk?
« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2015, 12:04:03 am »

Tills switches on his emergency comms device. “Alpha Squad, report in!" he yells.
No reply. He yells into his radio again, his voice becoming more desperate.
"Alpha squad? Report in!"
An alert appears on his HUD. Three suits' emergency broadcasts. But two of them are away from the ship, with one much closer to it. The predictions overlaid on the holograms above the Viewtable show that Tills only has enough fuel to grab the lone marine by the ship and still arrive at the ship, OR to head to the location of the other two marines with a bit of fuel to spare.
So possibly rescue one marine and get back to the ship, or possibly rescue 2 marines and be picked up in around 10 minutes. Remember that the broadcasting marines could already be dead or unsavable without a pressurized room.

Back at the C.O.R., a rather confused officer is scratching his head.
"Wait, really?" He remarks confusedly. Turning to your terminal, he announces something that also confuses you.
"Ship is speeding up, Commander. At this rate, none of our ships will be able to reach it."

Any ships sent, including the ones already on their way, won't be able to intercept the Uark ship until it slows down, either intentionally or if sabotaged. They should be able to intercept all the marines with confirmed positions in around 10 minutes unless the marines make any maneuvers.

Mission Status
Objective: Evacuate squad/Investigate ship.
6 out of 7 squad members unaccounted for.
3 squad members' locations confirmed.
Ships intercepting confirmed positions of squad members in approximately 10 minutes.
Tills
-Damaged EVA Suit - Tills' suit is rather damaged, but the important parts are still present - thrusters seem to be intact, oxygen scrubbers are online, and there are no detected punctures anywhere.
-U.E.F. Battle Rifle – Tills' Battle Rifle was luckily holstered at the time of the explosion, and the magnetic attachment system is still operating just fine.
-1 Grenade

EDIT:
"He yells into her radio again"
Great job, me.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 02:26:53 am by Chiefwaffles »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2015, 02:15:02 am »

Spectroscopy allows you to analyze the atomic components of something by the light they emit when heated. As such, it could show us what elements were involved in the explosion. (Or it could show us a bunch of common shipbuilding elements).

Romans

• Bay Watcher
  • More of an abstract Concept
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2015, 12:52:26 pm »

We have to stop this ship, we have no idea what its objective is so I suggest we go get the one marine. So that if he's functional we can have some backup on the ship and stop it. The other two will be fine, they will get picked up but we need to get this ship at all costs.
Crazy??I was crazy once they put me in a room, a rubber room, with rats. I hate rats, they drive me crazy......Crazy?? I was crazy once, they put me in a room, a rubber room, with rats. I hate rats, they drive me crazy......Crazy??

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 10, 2015, 12:57:11 pm »

I assume our ships can detect the emergency broadcasts (when they arrive at the very least). I'd recommend holding position and ponder if it's possible for Tills' squad radio to be broken but his long range radio to be fine. I'd also turn on Yills' emergency broadcast,  on the off chance other squad mates are nearby.
Pages: 1 2 [3]