Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Engravings by Bored Prisoners  (Read 2196 times)

Orgeston

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:BLIGHT] [SPHERE:DEFORMITY] [SPHERE:MURDER]
    • View Profile
Engravings by Bored Prisoners
« on: September 07, 2015, 04:21:17 pm »

Perhaps caged or pitted prisoners could engrave on the floors and walls around them when they have nothing to do. Suppose you constructed a labyrinth and dropped goblins and monsters in it. The goblins would wander, never to see the light again, and chronicle the beasts that stalk them. This would require it becoming something of a free action that can also be ordered through the designation menu, so a bored prisoner could engrave his meager nine tiles. Perhaps this would make it another skill that children have access to, as they run around the fortress drawing on the walls. Of course, they would have to smooth any rough walls first. Maybe they would only go to the trouble to actually smooth a wall first if they're really grasping at straws for something to do, as would be the case with prisoners.
And yet somehow amid the tanzanite buddha, the raining logs and the mysterious moods, the only thing that has me puzzled is why my Doctor/animal trainer Tekkud is taming eagles by feeding them eagle guts.

Alfrodo

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_STUPID]
    • View Profile
Re: Engravings by Bored Prisoners
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2015, 06:44:45 pm »

I like this for prisoners, slowly etching their number of days in prison, and maybe some pictures of JackBlack the HighKing of Shape mixed in.

but not for children.  It would give players even more reasons to atom smash the little buggers.

And if players really don't want engravings in their prison, they could just engrave the walls or use constructed wooden ones.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 06:46:40 pm by Alfrodo »
Bins stacked full of mangoes were laid out in rows. On further inspection of the market, Cog came to the realization that everything was mangoes.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2015, 06:50:28 pm »

Lol
this is a Masterful engraving, it was made by Urist-Mc-DidntMakeSladeSwords, "it depicts the 1,203 days he spent in prison for failing 32 mandates"
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Alfrodo

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_STUPID]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2015, 06:53:40 pm »

Lol
this is a Masterful engraving, it was made by Urist-Mc-DidntMakeSladeSwords, "it depicts the 1,203 days he spent in prison for failing 32 mandates"

accurate depiction
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Bins stacked full of mangoes were laid out in rows. On further inspection of the market, Cog came to the realization that everything was mangoes.

Orgeston

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:BLIGHT] [SPHERE:DEFORMITY] [SPHERE:MURDER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2015, 07:43:23 pm »

See now that's interesting, because it would either be repetitive engraving alteration with the tally going up, or engraving removal and replacement with one of a higher number.

I was thinking also, "Engraved on the wall is an image of Urist McPrisoner the dwarf and Urist McCaptain-of-the-Guard the dwarf by Urist McPrisoner. Urist McPrisoner is strangling Urist McCaptain-of-the-Guard."
"Engraved on the floor is an image of Urist McPrisoner the dwarf by Urist McPrisoner. Urist McPrisoner is in the fetal position. The image relates to Urist McPrisoner's loneliness."
"Engraved on the wall is an image of Urist McMurderer the dwarf and Urist McMandate-Failer by Urist McMandate-Failer. Urist McMurderer is making plaintive gestures to Urist McMandate-Failer. The image relates to the two of them becoming friends in prison or something dumb I dunno."
Or goblins engraving their various victories or their friend's grim deaths in their holding cell next to the gladiator arena.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 07:50:41 pm by Orgeston »
And yet somehow amid the tanzanite buddha, the raining logs and the mysterious moods, the only thing that has me puzzled is why my Doctor/animal trainer Tekkud is taming eagles by feeding them eagle guts.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2015, 07:52:03 pm »

Hay could be worse it could be: this is a Masterful engraving, it was made by Urist-Mc-Murdering-######, "it depicts the 1,203 times he ##### Urist-mc-#####-Girl"
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Zammer990

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2015, 02:41:32 am »

Hey, it could be worse. Continually removing masterwork engravings will quickly send the prisoner mad, turning your otherwise productive engraver trainer into a pit of ravenous dwarves.
If your animals aren't expendable, you could always station a dwarf or two out there?

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2015, 11:57:35 am »

This is a engraving of words, it was made by Urist-Mc-hopeful-writer, it depicts the letters H EL P M E
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2015, 01:39:19 pm »

If this is put in, maybe keeping different things in cages could change them in some way: like decorations, but maybe not value-enhancing, and more like: "there are approximately one hundred tally marks on the bars", or "the ceiling is deeply grooved by massive claws and teeth". This could be pretty atmospheric.
One wheel short of a wagon

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2015, 08:56:52 pm »

"there are approximately one hundred tally marks on the bars"
Someone forgot to change their bookkeeper settings on the Nobles screen :)
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Niyazov

• Bay Watcher
  • shovel them under and let me work - I am the grass
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2015, 11:24:51 am »

This is a GREAT idea, as is marking cages.

Prisoners' engravings should not get quality modifiers, though; and imprisoned dwarves should not be able to admire their own or other prisoners' engravings to get happy thoughts.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 10:03:39 am by Niyazov »

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2015, 11:25:29 am »

Maybe the opposite?
One wheel short of a wagon